Victory elusive for United

Sale United’s Kieran Horgan heads the ball during the match against Trafalgar Victory.

Sale United’s Kieran Horgan heads the ball during the match against Trafalgar Victory.

SALE United relinquished sixth place on the Latrobe Valley Soccer League after losing a high-scoring match against Trafalgar Victory.

The visitors reclaimed sixth spot after their 4-3 win in wintry conditions on Sunday. It was the first time the Victory had defeated the Swans.

One goal was scored in the first half, with Nathaniel Paredes putting Trafalgar ahead in the 27th minute.

A mix-up by the Swans led to Josh Paredes stretching the margin with a goal three minutes into the second half.

Nathi Khamchom pegged a goal back for the Swans on 54 minutes, only for Nathaniel Paredes to restore Trafalgar’s two-goal advantage two minutes later.

Trafalgar appeared to have the match in its keeping when Lloyd King scored in the 68th minute, but a minute later, Khamchom netted his second goal for the Swans.

Josh Ryan scored Sale’s third goal in the 79th minute, setting up a big finish to the match, but the home side was unable to find the equaliser.

With three rounds before the top six finals, the Swans are two points behind the Victory. The Swans have a must win match at Tyers this Sunday.

FALCONS is a win away from securing the championship after defeating Churchill United 4-0.

The Birds are seven points ahead of second-placed Traralgon Olympians.

The visitors’ goals came in the final half hour, beginning with a Jordan Kennedy goal from a corner kick, before Jamie Pistrin claimed a hat-trick to move to 19 goals for the season.

TRARALGON Olympians came from 2-0 down to defeat Moe United 3-2 away.

Noah Kane and Matt Shearing put the Red Devils in front with first half goals.

With a 10-minute period during the second half, Alradi Ali scored two goals and Kuku Mahmoud one for Olympians.

Despite Olympians having two players sent off, the Red Devils were unable to find an equaliser.

TRARALGON City was too good at home for East Gippsland United, winning 8-1 to remain in third place.

Jake Budija netted a hat-trick of goals, league leading goal scorer DJ Matar found the back of the net twice, as did Liam Johnson. Alexander Leckey and Thomas Forster scored a goal each.

FOURTH-placed Monash overcame a challenge from Tyers, winning 2-1 at home.

Ethan Lawrence put Monash in front within three minutes.

Tyers equalised in the opening minutes of the second half through Budd Tanner, but the Wolves reclaimed the lead with a Thomas Bramstedt goal in the 68th minute.

NEWBOROUGH-Yallourn United defeated Fortuna 4-1 with all the goals coming in the second half.

With Fortuna playing with 10 men in the second half, Deng Maica put the Combine ahead in the 66th minute, before Alex Van Vilet, and Mark and Dylan Fairbrother scored in the final 20 minutes.

Nick Brewer scored a consolation goal for Fortuna from the penalty spot in the 90th minute.

IN other matches this Sunday, victory over Monash away will be enough for Falcons to claim the championship. For the Wolves, a win will help their bid for a home final.

Olympians will head to Trafalgar, with the Victory looking to keep ahead of Sale on the ladder.

Traralgon City will host Churchill, NYU will host Moe and Fortuna will head to East Gippsland.

Gippsland Senior
More coming soon!!!