A 32-YEAR-old Sale man is expected to be charged with offences relating to the alleged importation of weapons.
On September 29 this year, Australian Border Force officers working at the Sydney Gateway Facility detected four hand held electronic devices in a consignment linked to a residential address in Sale.
Border force investigators and Victoria Police officers executed warrants at the premises and found six nunchakus, five capsicum sprays, 11 trench knives, one stun gun, one soft air gun, one crossbow, 155 ice pipes and various hand held daggers and knives.
It will be alleged the man had previously attempted to import similar items 19 times in the previous two years.
The man is expected to be charged under the Customs Act 1901.
The maximum penalty for these offences is $525,000, 10 years jail, or both.
Australian Border Force Investigations Acting Superintendent Amanda Coppleman said the joint activity should serve as a warning to anyone considering bringing dangerous weapons into the country.
“The ABF and our law enforcement partners, including the Victoria Police, routinely work together to detect and seize these potentially lethal items and identify those involved,” he said.
“Anyone attempting to bring these goods into the country, through whatever means, should expect that they will be detected and they will likely receive a knock on their door from ABF and police.”