FIRE crews attended an illegal burnoff in McCole St, Sale on Wednesday night.
Residents had allegedly started a bonfire in their front yard, and had not registered it with the CFA.
There are restrictions on burning off in residential areas, according to Wellington Shire Council.
Lighting of outdoor fires in residential areas is generally prohibited, unless the fire is contained and used for warmth or cooking.
The burning of offensive materials, such as rubber, plastic, dangerous goods or substances, paint and food scraps is not permitted at any time.
Wellington Shire mayor Carolyn Crossley said burning off in residential areas was not only inconsiderate to those living near the fire, but it could be detrimental to health.
“If you’ve ever taken your washing off the line and realised that your clean washing smells smoky, or you or someone you know is allergic to smoke, you’ll understand why it’s not ok to light outdoor fires in towns,” she said.
“There are circumstances when owners or occupiers of residential areas can apply for a burn permit.
“You will need to demonstrate that there is no alternative to burning, the burn can be done safely, and that smoke is unlikely to impact on your neighbours.
“If you live in town, green waste can be mulched and used on your garden, or made in to compost.
“You can dispose of your green waste at our local waste facilities for a small fee, or there are several private companies who offer green waste pick-up.
“It’s well worth finding alternatives, because if you are caught burning off in a residential area the fine is $200 and in some cases you may be prosecuted.”
To apply for a permit to burn, or to clarify whether you need a permit, phone Wellington Shire Council on 1300 366 244.
More information about fire restrictions and regulations can be found at the CFA website.