Horrors await in Rosedale house

OCTOBER 31. Halloween. The one night a year where heart-racing, spine-tingling, pants-wetting terror is not only a good thing, but a must for devotees.

Nobody knows how to celebrate Halloween quite like Rosedale’s David Kupisiewicz, who, each year, transforms the shed and backyard of his Cansick St home into a haunted house of horrors, raising money for Rosedale Primary School.

Originally starting the haunted house as a way to cheer up his homesick children when the family moved to Rosedale from California, the event has grown every year involving more and more of the community.

“This year there’s a lot more community involvement,” Mr Kupisiewicz said.

Bunnings Traralgon donated $300 in building materials in the form of timber, wire and light globes, almost matching the Kupisiewiczs’ personal contribution.

“Some of the pubs are going to stay open late and there’s a new cafe in town and they’re decorating and going to have specials and things like that,” he added.

Representatives from Rosedale Primary School will operate a sausage sizzle in the park across the street and the Rosedale Tourism Group has arranged for a jumping castle, Zorb balls and horse and carriage rides for queuing children, from 6.30pm.

Traditionally running on Halloween, this year the event has been moved to Saturday night, with the Kupisiewics opening their doors as soon as night falls.

Mr Kupisiewicz said the change was made because of last year’s overwhelming numbers.

“(Last year) the queue went right down the block and people were waiting well over an hour.

“On a school night, it’s just a bit too late,” Mr Kupisiewicz said.

The event raised $1100 for Rosedale Primary School.

In a similar set up to last year’s event, there will be two rooms separating the children’s and adults’ sections.

The children’s section will include a black plastic maze and animatronic monsters, and the adults section sinks spurting fake blood and living monsters.

“We realised that if you have real people in here, it’s too scary for the little ones,” Mr Kupisiewicz said of the children’s section.

“We made a 13-year-old boy cry last year … so there will be no live people for the kiddy section.”

However children weren’t the only ones to get a fright.

“Last year I had to send my son into the scary part… about five times because people would drop their phones,” Mr Kupisiewicz said.

“One lady ran out so fast she stepped out of her shoe, so he had to go back and recover it.”

With the Kupisiewiczs planning to move back to the United States in the next 10 months, once renovations to their house are complete, Mr Kupisiewicz is handing over the reigns to Gabe Murany, who has assisted him in making props and scaring people for a number of years.

While he admits he hasn’t sorted out a suitable location for next year’s event, Mr Murany is eager to ensure the frights continue.