A YOUNG boy is in a critical condition in Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital with severe burns after a devastating house fire in Airly on Tuesday night.
The 10-year-old was airlifted to Melbourne early yesterday morning after his family drove him to Sale hospital soon after the fire broke out about 9.50pm on Tuesday.
He had received severe burns to 30 per cent of his body, on his head, neck and chest.
The Royal Children’s Hospital flew a specialist paediatric burns team to Sale, where they worked to stabilise the boy.
He was then flown to the Royal Children’s, arriving in Melbourne about 3.45am yesterday morning.
He has since remained in a critical condition.
CFA crews from Stratford, Longford, Sale, Clydebank, Meerlieu and Perry Bridge were called to the fire.
About 45 firefighters battled the blaze for two hours, which completely consumed the farmhouse.
Firefighters’ efforts were hampered by a lack of a water supply for their fire trucks.
The fire was eventually extinguished, the house almost completely destroyed.
Fire investigators from the CFA and the Wellington Crime Investigation Unit inspected the scene yesterday and believe the home’s clothes dryer caused the fire.
CFA operations officer Len Scheetz urged locals to keep a close eye on their clothes dryers this winter.
“People need to make sure they clean out the lint filters after every cycle and to always check they’re in good working order,” Mr Scheetz said.