Cooking oil fire damages Heyfield home

A COOKING fire has claimed another home this winter in Wellington Shire.

In the third house fire in recent weeks, the Heyfield home was severely damaged on Wednesday evening when cooking oil the occupant was heating caught fire.

The occupant attempted to extinguish the fire with a fire blanket, but failed, and the flames quickly engulfed the kitchen.

The occupant managed to escape safely. No-one else was in the home at the time.

CFA crews received the call-out about 4.48pm, and arrived on the scene shortly after to find the kitchen well alight.

CFA crews from Heyfield, Seaton, Wininndoo, Tinamba and Maffra worked to subdue the fire, with members of the Maffra brigade checking the home afterwards for hotspots with a thermal imaging camera.

CFA operations officer Len Scheetz said the flames had also spread to the roof space of the home, rendering it uninhabitable.

He explained the occupant had left the oil unattended on the stove, and had returned to the kitchen to discover it was on fire.

“This serves as a timely reminder for everyone to take due care in the kitchen when cooking and to never leave a lit stove unattended,” Mr Scheetz said.

Mr Scheetz recommended locals ensure they have working fire alarms, fire blankets and extinguishers installed in their kitchens.