Bedroom fire started in Stratford home

FIRE investigators were called to a house at Stratford Sunday night to determine to cause of a fire which broke out at 2.30pm.

The fire was contained to a bedroom where a child had been playing.

An eight-year-old girl was was treated for shock, while another child was treated by paramedics at the scene with a burn to his hand.

He required no further medical attention.

Fire authorities investigating the matter told the Gippsland Times they believe eight children ranging from six to 18 years in age were home alone at the time the blaze broke out.

This has proven not to be the case. 

There were five children under the care of an adult who is a qualified child carer present, not eight.