Maffra school fire

STUDENTS and staff at Maffra Secondary College helped to restrict the spread of a fire which broke out in its food technology classroom on Wednesday morning.

A cooker in the classroom caught fire about 9.30am, students and staff containing it using fire blankets and extinguishers before evacuating.

Authorities say had it not been for their quick actions, damage would have been much worse.

Maffra Fire Brigade crews quickly extinguished the fire, with damage restricted to the cooker and rangehood.

Fans were used to clear smoke from the building and the classroom was declared safe about 10am.

CFA region 10 spokesman Peter Barr said as the fire was in a food preparation area, a health inspector would need to inspect it after the clean-up.