Another big win for Sale

SALE continued from where it left off in round one at Bairnsdale with a big win at home against Moe to move to the top of the Gippsland League footbal ladder.

The Magpies opened with a blitzing nine-goal to two first quarter before going on to win 26.16 (171) to 9.4 (58).

After copping a quarter-time spray from coach Jason MacFarlane, the Lions responded in the second term, matching the Magpies’ four goals.

Magpies coach Matt Ferguson told his players at half-time their level of commitment had dropped away. The home side responded by kicking 8.3 to one point in the third term.

Up against Ben Morrow, who was named the Lions’ best, ruckman Jack Lipman set up chances for the Magpies’ onballers Luke Collins, Corey Scholtes and Kane Martin, who provided well-directed passes to the forwards.

Ferguson and Kane Fraser, who kicked six goals each, Brenton Martin and John Gooch, three each, finished off the good work down in the midfield.

For years Kane Fraser has been taking courageous marks in defence, now he is doing in attack. He was rewarded for his efforts by kicking six goals.

Shannen Lange, who is on the Gippsland Power list, is a special talent with his pace and ball handling skills. He chipped in with two goals.

Brendan Rathnow and Adam Wallace were busy on their wings, while the back six has developed into a formidable group with Ryan Pendlebury, Jordan Dessent and Chris Laverty turning defence into attack and getting good value for their possessions.

Shane Fyfe, on the last line of defence, had more than 30 possessions.

The Magpies’ reserves, under 18 and 16 teams all recorded good wins.

MAFFRA continued its unbeaten start with a 36-point win at Drouin.

Facing a tricky match against last year’s grand finalist, the Eagles had the edge throughout, winning 15.20 (110) to 10.14 (74).

The visitors led by five points at the first break, extended their lead to 20 points at the main change.

The Hawks were still a chance of victory heading into the final term after both teams kicked four goals in the third term.

Both sides’ shooting for goal was off target in the final term, with the Eagles booting 3.6 to the Hawks’ 1.4.

Ben Coleman led the midfield charge for the Eagles, with Kel Porter and Gary Jones again contributing.

Daniel Stubbe was a major presence in the forward line, finishing with six goals, while Adrian Burgiel booted three majors.

The Hawks were best-served by midfielders Pat McGrath, Sam Proctor, Daniel Barrand and Darren Jefferies. Daniel Seri kicked three goals.

The win in the seniors completed an unbeaten day for the Eagles on the football field.

LEONGATHA scored its third consecutive win at Traralgon, spoiling the Maroons premiership flag party.

The Parrots won by 57 points, 18.15 (123) to 9.12 (66), their biggest win at Traralgon and biggest over the Maroons since 2003.

Colin Sanbrook and Tas Clingan were the Parrot’s best with Dwayne Holt kicking six goals.

MORWELL hung on to defeat Warragul at home, 14.10 (94) to 13.12 (90).

Leading by 14 points at the final change, the Tigers booted three goals in the fourth term as the Gulls had their chances to win, booting 4.6.

Rob Michaelides and Tom Crosby were the Tigers’ best, while Ben Hughes led the way for the Gulls, kicking seven goals.

A SEVEN-goal to four first term set up a 31-point victory for Wonthaggi over Bairnsdale.

The Power put the match out of the Redlegs’ reach with a five-goal to one third term as they won 18.11 (119) to 13.10 (88).

Aaron Ware kicked eight goals for the Power.