First win for United

SALE United came from a goal down to defeat Moe United 2-1 at Moe to record its first win of the Gippsland Soccer League season on Sunday.

The Swans came out hard and tested Red Devils goalkeeper Peter Albanese, who produced some excellent reflex saves.

As the half continued Moe began to create momentum before Adrian Savage opened the scoring with a tidy finish against the run of play.

In the second half Moe lost all momentum when Sale’s Tommy Nguyen scored shortly after the restart, skipping past three Moe defenders and Albanese to tap into an empty net levelling the scores.

The continued Sale pressure lead to another goal after a back post pass from Dave Myall found Callum Clancy to finish off a well rounded move for the winning goal.

SALE United will this Sunday host defending champion Fortuna, who overcame Tyers 6-2 last weekend to remain undefeated this season.

Josh Tanti scored a hat-trick for the Orangemen, while Joel Pirotta scored one goal and George Fkiaris two for his new club after crossing from Olympians.

The Lightning were unable to replicate the heroics of last weeks win over Moe but again showed their scoring ability with coach Mark Pavich and in-form striker Jake Budija both getting on the score sheet.

MONASH performed a snatch and grab attack on the previously undefeated Traralgon City, claiming a valuable 1-0 away win.

Traralgon’s Mark Fairbrother was twice denied by last ditch tackles from returning Wolves defender Chris Noppert, but the Rooster were unable to make their dominance count as the game remained scoreless at half-time.

The Wolves took the lead early in the second half when Eric Sostak claimed his fourth goal of the season after the keeper failed to hold a shot, with the veteran curling the ball home.

City began to push hard, but the Monash defence, missing Trent Felici and Ethan Lawrence, held firm, with keeper Mark Heatherington dominating the aerial duels.

Dustin Moos had a great chance to level the contest but he flashed his chance wide in the dying minutes as Monash claimed the win.

PRE-SEASON title fancy Traralgon Olympians fell further behind the ladder leaders after drawing 2-2 at home to Falcons.

Nick D’Alessandro put Falcons in front at the 30-minute mark before Olympians came out hard in the second half and equalized through Michael Fava, one of four former Birds lining up for the Blues.

Isaac Abas set up fellow junior Gianni Salvatore to put Falcons back in front, but a deep cross from Kenny Higgins managed to elude both defence and goal keeper to sneak in at the back post to break the hearts of his former team-mates.

CHURCHILL United continued its perfect start to the season with a workmanlike 4-1 victory over Newborough-Yallourn United.

Newborough-Yallourn threatened to steal the show when John Davey latched on to a ball over the top to smash a volley past keeper Jason Sands from outside the box to take an unexpected lead.

The goal spurred the Rams into action and they got their reward when Jesse Kennedy finished off some neat work from the left. Shortly afterwards coach Luke Cheney curled a free kick into the far corner to give the Rams a 2-1 half-time.

The match was an even affair after the interval until late in the second half when Cheney was fouled in the box, allowing Mark Bianconi to convert the resultant penalty.

Shortly before the final whistle Nathan Osborne beat his man down the left, squaring for Cheney to knock in his second goal.