Big start gives Saints win

BOOTING the first four goals of the match set-up Cowwarr’s five-goal victory over Traralgon-Tyers United during round 11 of North Gippsland football.

The Saints marked their intentions early with forward Chris Stasinowsky slotting home consecutive majors with goal sneak Robbie Ferguson swooping on the loose ball to kick Cowwarr’s fourth during a stellar 10 minutes of play.

Appearing flat-footed, the Bombers could do little but watch early as the Saints outplayed them around the ground, with the visitor’s back line feeling the heat.

Tempers frayed early before Brian Graham steadied with the Bombers’ opening major.

Drawing the ball along the comfort of the boundary line, the Bombers made their way forward with Luke Blackwood finishing off the defenders’ hard work with a goal from directly in front.

The Bombers added another in what quickly became a quarter of two halves as the Bombers’ third goal reeled the margin back to within seven points at the first change.

It took 10 minutes of play in the second term before Des Brunt broke through to register one of his four goals for the match before Graham added another as the Bombers began to stamp their mark on the contest, but a late goal to Cowwarr handed it an eight-point lead ahead of half-time.

Play concentrated in the Saints’ forward half during the opening part of the third term, with last week’s hero Brett Street snapping true before Brendan Smith added another following poor disposal by the Bombers’ back line.

Brad McBride made it four consecutive goals as the Bombers’ defence, led by Guy Sinclair, struggled to match the Saints’ many avenues in front of goal.

Saints coach Cory Bannister added plenty in the middle of the ground, winning a number of clearances from the centre bounce with the Saints reading the ruck tap better than the opposition.

Smith roved the pack to snap his second for the term, after captain Luke Cooper got down on his hands and knees to tap the ball out to Smith, the Saints major blowing the margin out to 31 points.

Two late term goals for the Bombers reeled the margin back ahead of three-quarter-time.

A quick goal by Brunt from the opening bounce of the final term provided the Bombers with some spark. Brunt added another to bring the margin back to 12 points in a five-goal turnaround. But the Bombers’ challenged was short lived as Stasinowsky stood tall in a five-minute purple patch, booting consecutive majors to seal the Saints victory, 13.12 (90) to 9.6 (60).

HEYFIELD returned to the winners’ list with an emphatic 111-point victory over Gormandale.

Convincingly beaten by ladder leader Rosedale the week before, the Kangaroos had plenty to prove but it wasn’t until the second half they found their mojo to broke clear of the Tigers.

The Tigers kept with the visitors in the first half with 20 points separating the sides at the main change, however the challenge was short-lived with the Kangaroos’ 15-goal to one second half highlighting their dominance in their 23.11 (149) to 6.2 (38) victory.

Heyfield forward Jesse Leeds kicked seven goals, rewarding the silver service offered by the midfield, led by Nic Dowse, which drilled the ball into the strong leading forward.

EIGHT goals from Shaun Barnes was one of the highlights of Glengarry’s victory over Woodside.

The Magpies slammed on 12 goals during a dominant first half to lead by 53 points at the main break. The visitors then added eight goals in the second half as they won 20.23 (143) to 6.4 (40).

Matt Royal was the Magpies’ best, with Robbie Cahill and Chris Wangman valuable contributors. Josh King booted five goals to provide support for Barnes.

For the home side, Josh Griffin led from the front.

ROSEDALE overcame Churchill in a match where little separated the sides.

Leading by three points at quarter-time, the Cougars valiantly stuck to their task as they threw everything at their highly fancied opponent, but the Blues answered the challenge in the second quarter to take an eight point lead into half-time.

The third term was a dogged affair with the sides level at the final change.

It was the Blues who stood tall under the pressure, scoring three goals to one to win 11.12 (78) to 9.10 (64) and extend their winning streak to seven straight.

Rosedale midfielder Dale Fleming was impressive, Dom Keating continued his stellar from in his return season, providing plenty of run off half-back, with captain Chris King steadying the ship in the final term.

For the visitors, Alex Tatterson was a standout, Joey Whykes was solid in the engine room, while Dale Paterson kicked four goals.

SALE City confirmed its hold on a top three place following its 14-goal victory over Boisdale-Briagolong.

The Bulldogs never appeared challenged in the first half and had their kicking for goal been more accurate the game would have been buried by half-time.

Playing on the wide open spaces of Sale Oval, the Bombers struggled to match the Bulldogs, who were without star player Jake Schuback. While there was speculation around a number of other stars sitting out the game, Nick Hider, Joel Brayshaw and Jake Milham all played major roles in the side’s 17.20 (122) to 5.6 (36) victory.