Baker’s dozen steers Saints to victory

CHRIS Stasinowsky kicked 13 goals as Cowwarr moved into the North Gippsland football top five with a dominant display against Boisdale-Briagolong.

Stasinowsky was simply sublime, making the Saints’ forward 50 as he made it his own, causing headaches for a stretched Bomber defence.

The Saints slotted home six majors in the first term to take a 34-point lead into the first change, and continued to dominate with 10 unanswered goals in the second term which killed the contest.

The visitors booted 15 more majors in the second half to significantly increase their percentage with a 175-point victory, 31.16 (202) to 3.9 (27).

Stasinowsky was ably supported in the forward line by Robbie Ferguson (five) and Brett Street (three). Captain Luke Cooper was impressive in and around the contests with Pat Tainsh’s pace felt.

JAKE Schuback booted three goals in a best-on-ground performance to lead Sale City to a 16.18 (114) to 3.3 (21) victory at Gormandale.

Nick Grainger again found himself among the goals, booting four, Damien Ashcroft booted two in a stellar individual performance, while Mitch Bennett also impressed.

FOURTH-placed Glengarry was anything but overawed by prospect of travelling to Heyfield, kicking six goals to four in a stellar first term to set-up a 49-point win.

The visitor looked the goods early before an even second quarter saw the Kangaroos reel the deficit back to 14 points at the main break.

Heyfield rallied in the third term to match Glengarry on the scoreboard but couldn’t reel in the Magpies’ half-time lead.

The final term belonged to the Magpies, who four goals to one to win 16.19 (115) to 10.6 (66).

Lochie Little was best on ground for the victors, with Josh King and Shaun Barnes valuable contributors. King kicked seven goals and Barnes three.

LADDER leader Rosedale made light work at home of Woodside, who could only kick one goal, rebounding from its disappointing showing last round.

As predicted, the Blues came out hard, slamming home eight unanswered goals. The home side boasted 17 scoring shots to none in a one-sided opening term.

The going didn’t get any easier for the visitor as the Blues added five more goals in the second term to take a commanding 84-point lead into the long break.

The script for the second half continued the same way as the first with the Wildcats having little answer to the Blues’ structure. The Blues won 23.32 (170) to 1.4 (10).

Andrew Flanagan led the charge on the scoreboard, finishing the match with five majors, Ross McDermott added five and Brad Caldwell four.

Rohan Diamond was explosive in the midfield along with Justin Emery, Craig Mayman let little past him and Dale Fleming was also impressive.

Brendan Birch was the Wildcats’ best with Ryan Foat kicking their only goal.

WITH more than the four points on the line, Churchill came from behind to defeat Traralgon-Tyers United and return to finals calculations.

The visiting Bombers burst out of the blocks in a blistering 10 minutes, with Des Brunt opening proceedings following a free kick.

Tyler Mustoe then registered his first of three goals for the term.

Churchill managed to register its first major before Mustoe kicked his second.

A strong mark by Joey Whykes led to Churchill’s second.

Mustoe booted another goal, while at the other end of the ground, Dale Patterson out-muscled his opponent to reel the margin back to a kick before Brian Graham found space in a congested forward line to goal ahead of quarter-time.

Heavy rain made conditions tough in the second term, but Mustoe was able to make something out of nothing to stretch the margin to 19 points.

Poor disposal by the Cougars in the dying stages of the first half proved costly as Graham scored what would be TTU’s final goal for the match.

With most people distracted by a boundary line tussle, Nick Celima kicked a goal after the half-time siren.

It was all Churchill in the second half.

Holt reeled the margin back to seven points, as the back line of Scott Kelly, Jarrod Broadbent, Travis Brighton and Billy Wight shut down the Bombers’ avenues to goal.

In the midfield, Tyson Webb was sublime in the wet conditions, while Christopher Williams ran rings around his opponents.

Hitting the front by four points ahead of the final change, the Cougars stepped it up another notch in the final term.

Their defence let little past them, while the running brigade of Brandan Mahoney and Whykes lifted in the third term when the game was in the balance.

Things only got worse for the Bombers as play was halted twice during the final term for the stretcher to be called with Brian Graham was one of the casualties

The Cougars slammed home four more majors to keep their faint finals pulse beating with a 14.12 (96) to 9.11 (65) victory.