Kangaroos send a message

AN 11-goal to two final term saw North Gippsland football premier Heyfield take top spot on the ladder and end Woodside’s unbeaten start to the season.

The first quarter was a close affair with Heyfield taking a nine-point lead into the first change before the Kangaroos extended the margin to 16 points at half-time, a lead they would maintain at the final change.

Flattening any chance of the Wildcats challenging, Heyfield blew the game apart in the final term, booting 11 goals to two to record a 72-point victory, 23.13 (145) to 10.13 (73).

Mitch Dowse booted six goals for Heyfield, while Jesse Bedggood and Wayne Knight also provided headaches for the Wildcats’ defence, booting four and three respectively.

Mark Johnston was the Kangaroos’ best with Jack Woodland and Nick Dinsdale dominate in the contests.

Saints beat City

COWWARR overcame Sale City, winning 14.10 (94) to Sale City 10.13 (73).

It wasn’t the most clinical of performances by the Saints, however, their effort and intensity when the game was in the balance during the third term proved enough to see them secure their second win in as many weeks.

Perched in sixth and seventh position on the ladder, the contest was expected to be a tight affair as both sides looked to remain in touch with the competition front runners.

A strong start saw the visiting Saints register the first two goals.

City broke through when Mitch Evans opened the home side’s account.

With neither side able to make an impact on the scoreboard, Ben Plozza broke the trend with a goal for Cowwarr as the Saints small forwards began to make their mark with the visitors taking a 20-point lead into the first change.

Twenty minutes had lapsed before City registered its second, which was followed by their third as Nick Grainger broke the shackles following strong play from the back line instigated by Jesse Broadbent, who cautiously cleared the ball forward along the wing.

The home side’s momentum gained before Tim Johnston broke the trend, snapping another for Cowwarr.

Johnston was at it again, trying to create opportunities up forward however wayward kicking at goal by himself and Shane Morgan kept the Bulldogs in reach.

Robbie Ferguson slotted through the Saints’ seventh major on the run ahead of half-time, providing the visitors with a four-goal buffer at the long change.

The Bulldogs began the third term well with Tom Horan slamming a goal in the opening minute.

Horan’s goal was followed quickly from one from Codey Kennedy to cut the deficit to 11 points as the Bulldogs midfielders Brad McKay, coach Joel Brayshaw and Daniel Bird began to make an impact against Luke and Lee Cooper.

Luke Hedger made it three on the run, with the Bulldogs bark coming to life as Grainger began to run rings around the opposition back men.

It didn’t take long for Cowwarr to settle and register two quick replies midway through the third term to again regain the ascendency. City responded through Grainger right on the three-quarter-time siren with the margin 13 points.

The Bulldogs kept with the visitors, challenging early in the final term, but a miss from Evans was quickly followed by a major to Cowwarr’s Ferguson before Johnston offered the final blow.

Johnston’s seventh goal blew the margin back out to 23 points with the clock counting down on the challenge.

City was well-served by captain Matt Lutze, Grainger stood-out during the third term, while Josh Barbetti was handy.

For the victors, Pat Tainsh was closely guarded by Brayshaw early in the contest, but set-up plenty of play for the Saints with Siaosi Lay-Blake another stand-out.

Blue day for Cougars

ROSEDALE had to unleash a withering third quarter burst of 10 goals to overrun a determined and hard-working Churchill, 23.14 (152) to 16.6 (102).

Trailing by 14 points at half-time, Rosedale looked to impose its presence in the early stages of the third term, however, the Cougars kicked two quick majors to extend their lead.

With the visitors’ nerves rattled, a scuffle broke out as the contest on the field intensified. The Blues held their nerve when play resumed, booting eight consecutive majors.

Rosedale continued its relentless attack on the footy during the final term, kicking five goals to two, to hand Churchill a 50-point defeat and its second loss in a row.

The home side boasted 12 goal kickers, Brad Caldwell the pick with six majors, while Jake Mowat finished the contest with four.

Hamish Towns was the Cougars’ best, kicking five goals, while Brendan Holt played a key role, chipping in with four goals.

TTU top Bomber

TRARALGON-Tyers United proved too strong for Boisdale-Briagolong Bombers, recording a comfortable 14-goal victory on the road.

Subdued in the first term, TTU came out firing in the second quarter, booting eight unanswered goals with the result all but decided at the long change.

Tempers were frayed after Boisdale-Briagolong coach Daniel Sandeman was reported for verbally abusing an umpire after the half-time siren was blown.

Boisdale-Briagolong matched the visitor in the third term with both sides booting four goals before TTU once again got the upper hand in the final term to secure its fourth win of the season and second place on the ladder. The visitor won 19.16 (130) to 9.5 (59).

Boasting 13 goal kickers, TTU’s many avenues in front of goal stifled the opposition. Hayden Hector was best afield for TTU, finishing the contest with four goals, with Patrick Sharp and Guy Sinclair solid contributors.

Tigers’ comeback win

GORMANDALE staged a second half comeback to record its first win of the season, defeating long time foe Glengarry by two goals on Sunday.

The Tigers turned a two-goal half-time deficit into a 19-point lead with a strong third term, eventually winning 12.8 (80) to 9.14 (68).