Victory sends Swans to the top

Photo gallery

STRATFORD overcame a slow start to comfortably account for Paynesville and move to top of the table in round 10 of East Gippsland football.

The 14.8 (92) to 6.9 (45) win saw the Swans leapfrog Paynesville on the ladder on percentage, however the Gulls have a game in hand.

It was Paynesville that got out of the blocks early with Haydn Robins, who finished with four goals, looking dangerous in attack and the Gulls could have held a greater quarter time advantage if it weren’t for inaccuracy.

Trailing by 16 points at the first change, the Swans clicked into gear in the second term to boot five goals and take a two point lead into half-time.

There was no letting up in the third term as Keiran O’Dwyer became a focal point up forward, while Tye Morrison pushed forward to hit the scoreboard.

Jordan Clegg was beginning to get a hold on Robins at the other end of the ground as the Swans booted six goals to one to take a commanding 34-point lead at the final change of ends.

The final term became an arm wrestle, the Swans adding two goals to run out 47-point victors.

Kaine Kerton again gave his midfielders first use, with Tye Morrison, Corey Scholtes and Michael Walker taking full advantage, while Alan Beechey was also influential while relieving Kerton in the ruck and around the ground.

The Stratford defence, led by Clegg, was in good form, restricting the dangerous Paynesville forwards with Ashley Pescod, Simon Biszko and Derek Hayes having limited impact on the scoreboard.

Lewis Bolton provided run and carry in a best-on-ground performance, while Corey Key played a negating role well. Rowan Marsden and Lachie Heywood turned defence into attack, while Nathan Channing was also among the better players.

Younger players Liam Lemon and Taylor Tatterson also made an impact for the Swans.

Damien Ashcroft was the Gulls’ best.

Magpies hold on

LUCKNOW held off a fast finishing Lakes Entrance to keep its comfortable hold on third spot.

Working its way to a 26-point lead at the final change of ends, Lucknow dropped off in the final term with the Seagulls booting five final term goals to the Magpies’ one to almost steal it.

The 10.12 (72) to 10.8 (68) win puts the Magpies two games ahead of the mid-table log jam and one game behind the ladder leaders.

Gary Jones led the way for the Magpies in a best-on-ground performance, while Brenton Martin was also a key with four goals.

Lakes Entrance talls Macy Hambrook and James and Jesse Beha all hit the scoreboard in the final term as the Seagulls just finished short.

Tigers take care of Blues

WY YUNG accounted for Orbost-Snowy Rovers to move into fifth position.

The 11.9 (75) to 8.9 (57) win saw the Tigers leapfrog the Blues on the table to sit outside the top four on percentage.

The Tigers pulled away in the third term after a tight first half, taking a 16-point lead into three-quarter-time before holding the Blues at bay in the final term.

Matt Counahan was well held, but Daniel Zammit stood-up for Wy Yung with three goals. Bryan Froud provided good run from defence to be the Tigers’ best.

The Blues, who had eight individual goal scorers, were best served by Andrew Stanton.

LINDENOW had the bye.