Roos finish strong for win

SEVEN unanswered goals in the final term ensured Heyfield victory against Sale City, who took it up to the North Gippsland football ladder leader for three quarters.

Heyfield quickly skipped away to a 17-point lead following a five-goal to two first term. Nic Dinsdale and Jesse Bedggood opened their accounts, with City’s goals scored through Byron Shingles and Nick Grainger.

Turning the tables on the visitor, Sale City ran rampant with one extra man on the ground following the yellow carding of Shaun Humphreys. The Bulldogs slowly ate away at the Kangaroos’ 16-point lead.

Finding plenty of the ball, coach Joel Brayshaw lead from the front as his young squad rose to the occasion against the premiers. Mitch Bennett amassed possessions, feeding the ball into the forward line with precision, Shingles imposed himself in the contest, while Marty McDonough consistently swept across half-back.

Heyfield was able to respond to the Bulldogs’ challenge through Brett Szabo, who booted two goals for the term, but the home side didn’t falter and led by two points at half-time.

City booted the first goal of the third term before back-to-back goals from Heyfield. Bedggood then combined with Joel Dinsdale who switched play to the other side of the forward 50, resulting in a goal for Kodie Woodland.

Jesse Leeds, Woodland and Bedggood worked from one end of the ground to the other, however Bedggood’s kick into the leading Szabo was spoiled by McDonough. McDonough’s effort resulted in Grainger scoring at the other end of the ground before Heyfield was gifted another goal following a 50 metre penalty.

A low direct kick from the top of the 50 metre arc by Abe Schuback hit the leading Grainger in the pocket, with his goal reeling the margin back to four points. Grainger made it two on the run to hand his side the lead ahead of the three-quarter-time siren.

Heyfield was relentlessness in the final term, hungry, passionate and wanting the win. The visitors hit their straps early in a frenetic start to the quarter.

The Bulldogs’ defence worked diligently to contain the Kangaroos’ midfield dominance which resulted in the visitors scoring seven unanswered majors to seal the win by 51 points, 19.11 (125) to 11.8 (74).

Hard work for Blues

ROSEDALE was forced to work hard for the four points against a persistent Gormandale line-up.

The Blues were pushed in a tough physical contest, which saw the home side tested as the Tigers made the most of their chances.

Gormandale skipped out to a seven-point lead at the first change before the Blues fought back in the second term, booting the last five goals to turn a quarter-time deficit into a four-goal lead at the long change.

Gormandale out-scored the second-placed Blues in the third term to remain in the hunt.

Drawing to within a kick in the final term, the Tigers appeared poised to cause one of the upsets of the season, but the Blues got the better of the visitors late to win 15.8 (98) to 12.5 (77).

Jeremy Reid and Andrew Flanagan booted three goals each for the Blues, with Hayden Mowat their best.

Cowwarr comfortably

AN 81-point drubbing of Boisdale-Briagolong moved Cowwarr into fourth position on the ladder.

With scores level at the first change, the Bombers showed they aren’t easybeats and they continued to test the Saints in the second term, only trailing by eight points at the long break.

With their finals ambitions on the line, the Saints’ experienced campaigners stood tall as they slammed home 16 goals to four in a one-sided second half to win 24.7 (151) to 11.4 (70).

Shane Morgan was the go to man in front of goal in the absence of Tim Johnson, booting 10 goals. Jordon Royal was best-on-ground, defender Kevin Hood was the general in defence.

For Boisdale-Briagolong, Danny Pratt booted five goals, while Owen Sim stood-out.

Cougars too good

A 12-GOAL to four first half laid the foundations for Churchill’s 23.11 (149) to 13.9 (87) win over Woodside.

The Wildcats could do little but watch as the Cougars rebounded from the disappointment of the past month and put the result well beyond question by half-time.

Apart from an even and high scoring final term, which saw the two sides go goal-for-goal, Woodside could do little to eat into the first-half margin.

Tim Darby created headaches for the Wildcats’ defenders, creating opportunities in front of goal to finish the contest with six majors. Nic Celima kicked five goals.

Chris Williams was impressive in the midfield, while ruckman Andrew Brown was also among the best.

Rob Michaelides was Woodside’s best, finishing with five majors.

TTU ends streak

TRARALGON-Tyers United become the first side in more than six weeks to defeat Glengarry.

In a low scoring first term, little separated the sides with TTU leading by five points.

After a tight start to the match, the visitors opened up a 20-point lead at half time with a four-goal second quarter. Michael Hall and Brian Graham were in blistering touch in front of goal.

The Magpies kept within touch during the third term but could do little to eat into the Bombers’ lead. The visitors won 15.11 (87) to 8.10 (58).

Justin Palmer stood-out for TTU with Scott Zuehlke and Luke Middleton also influential.

For the Magpies, Robbie Cahill had one of his best matches this season, Aaron Winkler was also impressive, while Mark Engley kicked three goals.