Pies too strong for TTU

RELATED: Rosedale knocks out Churchill

GLENGARRY handed Ryan Potter his first finals victory as coach in a blistering performance against Traralgon-Tyers United to win the North Gippsland football qualifying final on Saturday.

The Magpies will meet minor premier Heyfield this Saturday in the second semi-final.

Led by Ben Nicholson, Lochie Little and experienced campaigners Josh King and Dean Brooks in a defining second quarter, the Magpies made their mark by slamming home four majors to one to establish a 29-point lead at the main change.

Despite the Magpies inaccuracy in front of goal which saw them finish the contest with 35 shots for goal for a return of only 11 majors, the ever reliable King was the stand-out, booting five majors, while Robbie Cahill chipped in with two.

In their first finals appearance in nine seasons, TTU rose to the challenge of the big stage, registering the first score before the scoring dried up in the muddy conditions at Churchill.

It then became one-way traffic with the Magpies packing numbers around the stoppages, with their rovers reading the taps better and pumping the ball into an open forward line.

The match began with both sides failing to make effective use of the footy before Glengarry drew on the experience of a number of seasoned campaigners to dominate passages of play.

Minutes remained in the term before Glengarry broke through to register its first major before TTU kicked a goal from the responding centre bounce to trail by five points at the first change.

The arm wrestle continued in the second term.

An error from Wade McNeill resulted in Ross McDermott slotting through the Magpies’ second goal, beginning a precession of majors.

Brad Munro reeled one back for TTU, but as quickly as the Bombers challenged, the Magpies responded with quick hands by Potter finding Josh King, who snapped a goal from 10 metres out.

Placing immense pressure around the contests, the Bombers struggled with the impact of Potter, Little, Cahill, Brooks and Robbie Dawson. As much as Brian Graham, Pat Sharp and Matt Stolarczyk worked hard to get into the contest, it was Potter and his on ball brigade that was doing all the damage.

TTU’s Scott Zuehkle worked hard to shut off the Magpies’ drive into the forward line, a number of intercepts across centre half-forward sent the Bombers’ forward, however the Magpies’ defence, led by Chris Wangman and Ben Truin, had their measure.

King added his third goal ahead of half-time to establish a commanding 29 point lead in trying conditions.

The pace of the game intensified in the third term.

Glengarry failed to put the result beyond doubt in the third term, scoring eight behinds in front of a record qualifying final crowd.

The final quarter was a one-sided affair as the Magpies dominated possession thanks to Potter, Rowson, Nicholson and Little.

Glengarry slammed home a further five majors to register a comprehensive 11.24 (90) to 4.3 (27) victory.

For TTU, Pat Sharp left nothing in the locker room, Luke Middleton came in and out of the game taking on various roles and Callum Laurie-Rhodes was instrumental in holding danger forward Mark Engley goalless, but the Bombers couldn’t get a roll on in front of goals throughout the contest.

TTU powered away from Cowwarr to win the reserves qualifying final, 8.13 (61) to 3.8 (26).

Cowwarr got the better of TTU in the thirds, winning 19.12 (126) to 4.6 (30).