Sour note for Cowwarr celebrations

RELATED: Blues best Wildcats

IT was a tough day at the office with Cowwarr struggling to mark coach Luke Cooper’s 250th senior match with victory over Heyfield at home.

The North Gippsland football ladder leader all but killed off the contest by booting seven goals in the third term on their way to winning 24.17 (161) to 7.13 (55) and claiming the Komen-Holland Trophy.

Led by Kodie Woodland (six goals), Jesse Beddgood (five) and Daniel Stubbe (four), the goals came quick and fast.

The Saints’ cause was not helped by a goalless third term.

Shaun Humphreys continued his dominant form of the past month for the Kangaroos, while the Kodie and Jack Woodland also impressed.

For Cowwarr, Shane Galea, Luke Heiser and defender Cory Bannsiter were tireless in their efforts.

YARRAM powered away from Boisdale-Briagolong in the second half, winning by 69 points.

Plagued by injuries, with seven senior players to return to the line up for the clash against Glengarry, Bombers coach Dean Pratt continued to blood the club’s younger players for the away game.

Taking a slender seven-point lead into the first change Boisdale-Briagolong’s experienced campaigners of Matt Lee, Marty McDonough and Luke Conway were superb, with the loss of Conway through injury late hurting them.

Within a kick at the main change, the Bombers looked a chance to take the points but failed to sustain their intensity with the Demons slamming home 11 goals to one to record their fourth win at home, 17.13 (115) to 6.10 (46).

SECOND-placed Sale City proved too classy for premier Glengarry, an 11-goal to six first half setting up a 20.13 (133) to 15.9 (99) victory.

City has quickly shaken off the tag of underdogs this season, again becoming a team many in the competition are wary of.

The visitors booted five goals to one in the first quarter and never faulted in the contest against the seventh-placed Magpies.

Led by Mitch Bennett, Nick Grainger and best-on-ground Brendon Rathnow in front of goal, the Bulldogs were relentless, Their ferocious attack on the ball and man has become a signature of the side which continue to evolve under coach Hayden Burgiel.

Amassing possessions, Rathnow led the charge in the midfield with Josh Barbetti and ruckman Matt Lutze flexing their muscles in the centre, while Luke Hedger imposed himself in the contest, accounting for several opponents.

Led by Josh King, who finished with kicked six majors, the Magpies reeled in the Bulldogs’ 28-point half-time lead to 14 by the final change.

City slammed home six goals to four in the final term to ensure victory with Bennett causing havoc in the forward 50.

TRARALGON-Tyers United recorded its first win of the season, accounting for Gormandale.

The Bombers turned it on in front of a large home crowd which gathered for reunion of their 2004 premiership team.

Coming their own opening win, the Tigers were in the contest early, however the Bombers clicked in the second term to set-up a 39-point lead, one they would fail to relinquish. The Bombers won 19.15 (129) to 12.7 (79).

With the late withdrawal of Brian Graham, Bombers coach Matt Stolarczyk returned to the line-up and had an immediate impact in lifting his side. Joined by best-on-ground Jake Power and Nat Campbell, Stolarczyk and Pat Sharp were sublime.

Campbell kicked six goals and Dalton Tripodi four.

Luke Hegarty was the Tigers’ best, with Wayne Henry and Blake Slater booting three goals each.

CHURCHILL had the bye.