Wolves win battle at Sale

Wolves win battle at Sale

MONASH had a struggle against Sale United, but returned home with a 2-0 victory in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League on Sunday.

The Wolves were expected to win comfortably, but Sale was competitive across the park.

Monash gained the upper hand when Chris Oulton (33rd minute) and Marcus Krzanic (38rd) both scored in the first half.

Neither team could score in the second half, but there were chances which went wide.

Monash hung on grimly as Sale mounted several forays forward, but without success. The Wolves didn't waiver in their defence, not giving Sale too many opportunities to score.

THE match of the round between Falcons and Traralgon City ended in a 0-0 draw.

Falcons looked to have an edge in the first half with Nando Lazaris busy in midfield, while Jamie Pistrin and Kevin Carcella also got plenty of possession.

Traralgon City keeper Michael Bloss pulled off a couple of saves to deny Falcons an opening score.

Tommy Nyugen and Nathi Khanchom, two of the smaller players on the park, combined well for City.

The defences of both teams held out.

City back three Kieran Coltman, Alex Leckey and Tom Sawyer were always under pressure, but kept the Falcons out of range.

After the break, Traralgon City played the better but was not rewarded as players kicked over the bar or wide, which was frustrating for the players who set up the moves.

Falcons put a string of possessions together with Nick D'Alessandro and Jorden Kennedy getting among the action, but they couldn't get past Bloss, who pulled off some good saves.

The game petered out towards the end as the ball went end to end, but a burst in the last minute by Jake Budija saw his shot parried over the net by Charles Simon. The resulting corner taken by Michael Gaudiano was also knocked away by the energetic keeper to keep the scores at 0-0.

NEWBOROUGH-Yallourn United consolidated top position with 7-0 hammering of bottom side Trafalgar Victory The Combine was away within two minutes, when Alex Van Vliet got one through the defensive wall. Ash Birrell also got into the action with NYU's second goal only five minutes later.

Trafalgar was hard pressed to stop the league leader as the Fairbrothers scored at 11 and 24 minutes.

NYU added three goals in the second half - Shayne Pavich (51), Van Vliet (85) and Marc McHallam (87).

MOE United won a tough encounter against Fortuna 3-1.

The Red Devils took the advantage early with Matt Shearing able to break the solid Fortuna defence at 29 minutes.

Fortuna fought back with Hayden Cook equalising at 48 minutes. Only three minutes later, Moe forced the ball forward and Riley Winkelman-Atkinson beat the advancing Nick Pridgeon to score.

Leading 2-1, Moe continued to push forward and was rewarded when Noah Kane scored at 64 minutes.

Fortuna had chances in the final five minutes, but were saved by Moe keeper Peter Albanese.

TRARALGON Olympians defeated Churchill United 4-1.

Jayden Steele opened the scoring for Olympians late in the first half.

After the break, Churchill were fired into action and its coach Bryce Ruthven led by example to equalise 71 minutes into the match.

Prolific scorer Henri Scott got among the goals at 79 minutes to break the deadlock, and he followed up with another at 86 minutes.

Tony Pardo added one at 83 minutes as Olympians put three goals in within seven minutes.