Heartbreak for Boisdale-Briagolong as it loses EGFNL grand final to Lindenow by 47 points

Boisdale-Briagolong dispair in their grand final loss to Lindenow.
Boisdale-Briagolong dispair in their grand final loss to Lindenow.

LINDENOW dashed Boisdale-Briagolong's hopes of a first senior football premiership since 2001 with a 47-point victory in the East Gippsland league grand final on Saturday.

The Bombers began brightly, kicking the first two goals, but the Cats gained control to boot 15 of the next 21.

In a match where the week leading up to it had more drama, the Cats won 15.13 (103) to 8.8 (56).

Talk about the match last week centred on the suspension of Bombers defender Leigh Fulford. Fulford was given a four-game ban, with two suspended, following an incident during the second semi-final against Lindenow.

The umpires didn't report Fulford, but the league investigated the incident after receiving footage from the Cats, creating angst between the two clubs.

Fulford was allowed to play after appealing the penalty to a two-game suspended ban.

The club raised the money for the appeal via online crowdfunding platform, GoFundMe.

The match began with plenty of feeling, with players from both teams eager to make their mark. So much so, the match didn't start with the umpire throwing the ball up - instead Lindenow was given a free kick.

Boisdale-Briagolong had the first impact where it mattered most, the scoreboard, when Jordan Stubbe kicked the first goal.

A big mark from ruckman David McKean in front of the changerooms sparked the Bomber faithful before a free kick help Nic Campbell kick a goal and give the Bombers a 12-point lead after 12 minutes.

The Lindenow response was severe, as the Cats out-played the Bombers to wrest control of the match.

Best-on-ground Darren Allen kicked the first of his four goals before coach Justin Gould levelled the scores.

Only hours after welcoming his third child into the world, Allen was troubling the Boisdale-Briagolong defence.

Goals from Bayden Ashwood and Michael Preston gave the Cats the lead before Angus Fortune took the ball from a ruck contest and kicked the Sherrin between the big sticks.

The Cats were running hard with the ball, stretching the Bombers.

When Brodie Cameron set-up Allen's second goal, the Cats led by 24 points.

Daniel Stubbe kicked a much-needed goal for the Bombers late the in the first quarter, but the Cats led by 17 points at the break.

The intensity of the match settled for the second term, when Jack Neal kicked a goal from the boundary for Lindenow in the opening minute.

Campbell kicked his second goal for the Bombers before Allen kicked back-to-back majors for the Cats.

A downfield free kick led to Nick Marshall pegging the margin back to 15 points, before goals from Fortune and Rohan Blandford gave Lindenow a 26-point half-time lead.

The Bombers couldn't make inroads into the deficit during the third quarter, managing just one point, while the Cats kicked 2.6 to lead by 43 points at the final change of ends and have one hand on the premiership cup.

The sting had gone out of the contest, but Bombers coach Josh Stubbe urged his players to take risks to find a way back into the game.

As hard as they would try, the Bombers found it difficult to find targets in attack, with the Cats remaining accountable in defence.

When Allen found Preston in the goal square for the opening major of the term, the celebrations could begin.

Josh Stubbe and Rhys Johnson kicked goals for the Bombers, their first of the second half, before the Cats finished the match off with two goals.

A worthy best-on-ground medallist, Allen was outstanding for Lindenow in the forward line, especially when the match was there to be won. Allen kicked four goals, and Preston three.

Cameron, Justin Blair and Kane Ashwood were also effective in the forward line.

Along with kicking two goals, Angus Fortune was solid in the ruck, while league best-and-fairest Luke Dyer helped the Cats gain the ascendancy in the midfield.

In a day when they were under attack, defenders Patrick St John, Matt Goodwin, Nicoll Sandison and Fulford did well for the Bombers.

Dylan Alexander and Mitch Semmens also had their moments through the midfield, but like the rest of the time, was out-classed by Lindenow.