Traralgon Olympians wins the LVSL senior premiership, Traralgon City the women's

LVSL senior premier Traralgon Olympians. Photo: Laurie Williams
LVSL senior premier Traralgon Olympians. Photo: Laurie Williams

TRARALGON Olympians took out its third Latrobe Valley Soccer League premiership, and second in three years, on Sunday.

Olympians defeated league champion Newborough-Yallourn United 3-1 in a tough grand final before a huge crowd at Crinigan South Reserve, Morwell.

Olympians coach George Fkarias was full of praise for his players.

"The boys worked so hard this season after injuries in the first half of the season robbed us of many wins, but with determination they fought back to win today's grand final," he said.

Olympians began the best way possible, with a goal at five minutes thanks to a goal keeping error from Damian Gilbert, who went for the big punch, only for the ball to be deflected behind him into the net.

Olympians hadn't beaten Newborough-Yallourn this season, so the early goal made it more determined to create opportunities.

Newborough-Yallourn was tested across the back, with Alex Bowman, Mark Fairbrother and Shayne Pavich all doing their bit to stop Olympians. The Traralgon team was looking stronger with Harry Crocker and Jordan Campbell at the back keeping Newborough-Yallourn out of range.

Both keepers had little to do as the game went end-to-end with turnovers and missed opportunities.

Tony Pardo and Bailey Row were busy for Olympians building up chances.

It only took Olympians 30 seconds after the resumption to go 2-0 up after Liam Antonelli received a pass from Jaydon Steele and drove it home.

Newborough-Yallourn was on the back foot and found it difficult to gain any ground against the pumped up Olympians.

Shane Pavich and Mark Fairbrother were playing well, but generally Olympians was doing close checking to stop Newborough-Yallourn from scoring.

Fifteen minutes in, Olympians cracked it for the third time when Harry Crocker was given a penalty and he made sure of it, driving the ball past a diving Gilbert.

Aiden Riley, at the other end, had little to do as Newborough-Yallourn's attempts were either too wide or high.

Newborough-Yallourn went one player down when Mark Fairbrother was issued a red card at 83 minutes, but there was still time for something to happen as the Combine fought back.

Dean Fak was subbed on and he made his presence felt with a clever header to give United its first goal.

An Alex Bowman shot hit the bar, but in the end, Olympians took out the inaugural Michael Buhagiar Grand Final Cup 3-1.

Campbell was awarded the best player medal.

IT was double celebration for Olympians, as it took out the reserves grand final with a 3-2 win over Churchill United in a game which featured three penalties, two to Olympians and one to Churchill.

The match seemed distined for extra time when Aiden Huizer levelled the scores in the 84th minute for the Rams, but Simon Ieradi scored the winning goal for Olympians.

LVSL womens premier Traralgon City.

LVSL womens premier Traralgon City.

Roosters are crowing

TRARALGON City claimed a fourth LVSL women's successive premiership, to go with its league championship, by defeating Fortuna 1-0.

Neither team could gain any breaks until 42 minutes in when Alysha Quilty took a free kick, driving it past Renee Vidler.

This was to be the only goal of the game as both teams strived hard.

Fortuna had chances late in the first half, with three successive corners but was unable to convert.

Player of the match Emma Cook and Hannah Bonnici were good for the Lions, while Traralgon City combined well, with Hollie McCullagh and Quilty giving the Roosters plenty of opportunities.

MORWELL Pegasus tied up second division league champion Tyers, winning 3-0.

Tyers gave away the first goal at eight minutes in with an own goal after a mix up in the penalty box.

Jason Galea scored Tyers' goal at 16 minutes.

Both teams were pumped and end-to-end work failed to gain any results. It looked like going into extra time, but Pegasus gained the break when Eliaser Hussien tipped one past keeper Michael Martin at 75 minutes.

With only five minutes to play, Pegasus shut down the usually effective Tyers strikers, with Santu Simon saving twice to keep the Lightning at bay.

Pegasus went further ahead when leading goal scorer Samual Jacob put on its third goal.

Player of the match was Sav Mavrofrides from Tyers.