Sale United wins at home over Monash Wolves in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League

Home win over Wolves

SALE United defeated Monash 2-1 in a close Latrobe Valley Soccer League battle on Saturday night.

Monash was expected to cause Sale some grief, but the Swans had other ideas, with a Cooper Coleman goal in the 38th minutes giving the hosts a surprise lead. Monash was equal to the task, and levelled right on half time through Will Semple.

After a bit of a team shuffle, Sale went on the attack in the second half and broke down Monash's usually hard defence in the 55th minutes when Jacob Richardson scored from a free kick.

Both sides defended strongly, with Monash unable to overcome the deficit as Sale took out the match.

EARLIER in the day, Moe United went down for the first time this season, beaten 3-0 by Falcons, who moved to the top of the table.

Missing Lee and Nick Dastey and late withdrawal Kevin O'Farrell, the rearranged Moe side was no match for Falcons, who took control early in the game with Nick D'Alessandro back in action scoring the first at 32 minutes.

In the second stanza, Falcons scored twice through Elias Yousef and Zoran Winkelman to end Moe's unbeaten run.

Moe put a few shots on goal, but energetic Falcons gloveman Charles Simon stopped everything with a polished display.

MORWELL Pegasus scored its first win over Traralgon Olympians since coming back into the LVSL.

The Flying Horsemen showed exceptional skills to overshadow their more favoured opponents.

It took only nine minutes for Pegasus to show its intent when Levi Mahammud goaled and further goals in the 21st minute from Kelimet Ramadan and 37th minute from Sam Jacob ensured it had a 3-0 buffer going into the break.

The rout continued in the second half, as Pegasus ran the ball with swiftness and accuracy, not giving Olympians any chance of a comeback. A goal came in the 47th minute from Guguel Malual and, with 15 minutes to play, Ramadan completed the rout.

EAST Gippsland United gave Newborough-Yallourn United an early fright, but the Combine won 6-1.

With a good build up, the visiting Eagles scored in the 21st minute through Jade Taylor to throw NYU into disarray, but the Combine quickly organised itself, replying twice before half time through Alex Van Vliet and Mark Fairbrother.

After the break, Clayton Bell made some subtle changes to enable NYU to dictate the game. NYU got through the tight Eagles defence with second half goals from Shane Pavich, Bell, Van Vliet and Andrew Batt.

FORTUNA came from two goals down to defeat Churchill United 3-2 in an Anzac Day special.

The Rams took it up to the morefancied Fortuna. Like the clashes of old, these two teams produced a few sparks which fired up the Rams and in the 40th minute, Brad Sands scored the first goal.

Just before half-time, there was an incident in the penalty box and Churchill was awarded a spot kick. Sands stepped up to score his second goal for the afternoon.

A few choice words at half-time from coach Jordan Campbell had the desired effect as the Lions played tighter and with more purpose. The Lions scored in the 59th minutes through Riduan Sobrai, then Rayval Whiting scored a penalty only a few minutes later.

Fortuna broke the lines of resistance, when Damon Scott scored the winner in the 81st minute.

BACK after the bye, Traralgon City will be keen to tackle Sale United this Saturday night at home.

The Swans have picked up some form, with a draw and a win over their past two games. Traralgon City has the potential to be a top five side, but may find it difficult against a revitalised Sale side.

Kick-off at Harold Preston Reserve will be 7pm.

Falcons will host Olympians on Saturday from 4pm.

On Sunday, Churchill will host Moe, with the Red Devils set to welcome back players from injury, crosstown rivals Monash and NYU will clash, and East Gippsland will head to Morwell to play Pegasus.

Fortuna will have the bye.


Discuss "Home win over Wolves"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.