Port algae warning

A BLUE-green algae bloom at the Port of Sale prompted Wellington Shire Council to issue a warning.

Favourable weather conditions over the weekend dispersed an algal bloom from the Port of Sale.

Warning signs, which were put in place around the port on Friday, were removed on Monday morning.

When the warning was in place, council urged the public to avoid coming into contact with the water at the port.

The toxic blue-green algal species Microcystis aeruginosa is a naturally occurring bacteria which has the potential to make humans and animals sick.

Ideal weather conditions, such as long periods of warm weather with little rainfall, can cause unsafe quantities of the algae in water.

Council said people experiencing health effects following contact with the water in the port should seek advice from a doctor.