Match abandoned after Bomber was struck

A WY Yung player will face the East Gippsland football tribunal on Tuesday night over an incident which led to the match against Boisdale-Briagolong being abandoned.

During the first quarter on Saturday at Boisdale, Jacob Weatherley was allegedly punched in the back of the head, and was left bleeding and convulsing until an ambulance arrived.

With it taking 40 minutes until paramedics moved Weatherley from the ground, the match was called off.

Weatherley left hospital on Sunday, but will undergo more tests, according to club president Mark Landy.

As the game was abandoned, both teams were awarded two points. This is devastating for both teams finals hopes heading towards the mid-season break.

Storming Gulls

STRATFORD went down to a storming Paynesville team, 5.6 (36) to 13.21 (99).

The Gulls led from the beginning, keeping Stratford scoreless in the second term.

Ten players managed to kick goals across the game.

Best-on-ground for Paynesville was David Ashworth, while Regan Tait was Stratford’s best.

ORBOST-Snowy Rovers had a strong win against Lucknow, surprising the Magpies 15.9 (99) to 13.9 (87).

The Blues were able to nudge their way in front in the fourth quarter, after the home team fought back in the middle of the game.

It was remarkably close heading into final term, with two points the difference at half-time and four at the three-quarter break.

Orbost’s Tom Smith kicked five goals, and Ryan Wait three, with Jack Hammond best-on-ground, while Jacob Green was best for Lucknow, kicking four goals.

LINDENOW lost its first game of the season in a seven-point thriller against Lakes Entrance.

The Seagulls celebrated their 800th EGFNL match with a 12.6 (78) to 11.7 (73) home win on Saturday night, to shore up their hold on second place.

Despite pulling ahead at the beginning, Lakes was able to keep within sight of the ladder leaders for the whole game, with three-point margins at both half and three-quarter times.

Bobby Sproule was best-on-ground for the Seagulls with his three goals, and Bayden Ashwood kicked three for the visitors, with Daniel Harrison the Cats’ best.