Works to Telstra’s 5G network will begin in Sale this Friday, after being postponed in the aftermath of the storms.
The works are expected to finish sometime next week.
Telstra regional general manager Loretta Willaton said in response to feedback provided by Sale residents, the telco had made a few changes to the way it worked this time to provide better connectivity.
“We’ll be keeping 3G services on for the duration of the upgrade, so disruptions won’t be as noticeable, especially to businesses,” she said.
“To upgrade the site to 5G and bring the latest technology to Sale, we’ll need to switch off 4G services throughout the upgrade window, but we’ll keep any disruption to a minimum.
“We want to thank Sale locals for their patience while we rescheduled this work and, while there’s never a perfect time to upgrade our mobile network, we know our customers will see a big improvement in the network afterwards.”
Earlier this month, Telstra acknowledged a planned outage which knocked out phone services in Sale was not the best timing, given local people were still dealing with the aftermath of flooding and storms.
The loss of service also posed a problem for people trying to check in to the government’s QR system and use eftpos machines.
At the time, Ms Willaton said the work had been scheduled for some time as part of a national program, but the telco would work to find a better time to get the upgrade done.