Confusion over case, two exposure sites in Sale

The COVID-positive Telstra contractor does not live in Wellington Shire, and has returned to their own local government area. The case attended the Telstra building on Monday, September 13, from 10.30am to 4pm, and did not come into contact with anyone else.

CONFUSION reigned in Sale late last week with the government providing conflicting information over a COVID case in Sale and two exposure sites.
While the state government’s COVID-19 case tracker recorded one positive case for the postcode 3850, the Gippsland Region Public Health Unit assured the community there was no positive case in Wellington Shire.
Then on Friday morning two tier two exposure sites were then listed in Sale on the ‘Case alerts – public exposure sites’ website’ — but they were removed by mid-afternoon.
The two sites were the Telstra building on the corner of Cunninghame and Desailly Sts (not the Telstra shop), and the Matador Motel on Foster St.
Gippsland Region Public Health Unit asked the Victorian Department of Health to remove the sites from the website, saying they were “contained and present no risk to the community”.
The spokesperson said they represented low risk exposure, had sufficient record keeping and contact tracing methods in place and were not attended by other members of the public at the time of exposure.
The COVID-positive case does not live in Wellington Shire, and has returned to their own local government area.
The case attended the Telstra building on Monday, September 13, from 10.30am to 4pm, a Telstra spokesperson telling the Gippsland Times a contractor attended its site and did not come into contact with anyone else.
Deep cleaning was undertaken throughout the premises.
The case attended the Matador Motel on Monday, September 13, from 4pm until 4.30pm.
The person stayed overnight, and was only exposed to other people during the half an hour time slot.
All staff have returned a negative test, and that site also underwent deep cleaning.
The Gippsland Region Public Health Unit praised the local operators of the sites for their cooperation and prompt support to help manage the situation.
One active case in the Latrobe Valley mentioned in Friday’s press conference, who works at two fast food restaurants in Traralgon, is separate to the case who visited Wellington Shire.
COVID-19 response commander Jeroen Weimar said inquiries were underway into the Latrobe Valley case, saying late last week there was “a pretty good line of enquiry back into Melbourne”.
“We have 36 primary close contacts in the area, 92 per cent of those have already returned a negative test result and again, my thanks to all of them for coming forward so quickly to get tested.
“We’ll watch that case very closely.”
Gippsland Region Public Health said the Traralgon case was being managed via the COVID Positive Pathway process, which included regular contact and health monitoring.
Bunnings Warehouse in Traralgon was declared a Tier 2 exposure site.
Anyone who visited last Wednesday, September 15, between 5.40pm and 6.35pm should get tested and isolate until they receive a negative result. Family members or other people within the household do not need to get tested if they did not attend the exposure site.
Everyone should continue to monitor for symptoms and get tested again if symptoms appear.
Positive COVID-19 viral fragments continue to be detected in the Moe-Newborough-Trafalgar area.
Anyone experiencing any flu-like symptoms, however minor, should get tested. Symptoms include fever, coughing, sore throat, fatigue and shortness of breath.