Maffra man charged with murder: Police Beat July 19

Murder charge

POLICE have charged a 53-year-old Maffra man with murder following the death of another man in Sale.

The charges follow the discovery of a 50-year-old’s body, located with fatal injuries at a York Street residence last Thursday.

The accused was arrested on Saturday morning and remanded in custody, before fronting the Sale Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

The Sale man’s death is the second alleged homicide to occur in the town in recent months.

It follows a separate incident in January, where a 26-year-old man was charged with murder following an altercation in Hagenauer Street.

Property recovered in Yarram

DUE to police receiving valuable information from the community, a joint operation with Yarram Police members and detectives from the Wellington Criminal Investigation Unit executed a search warrant at a rural property in Yarram on July 13, 2022.

The operation was conducted following a spate of burglaries in the community, commercial and private buildings throughout the area.

It resulted in the recovery of a large amount of stolen property from the address.

This included three trailers containing stolen tools and property; pressure cleaners; two motorbikes; three E-Bikes; push bikes and many other items.

At this stage, police estimate the value of the recovered property at around $100,000.

A 32-year-old Rosebud male was arrested in Morwell regarding these matters and was remanded in custody. He was interviewed for the Yarram incidents and other offending elsewhere.

The investigation is ongoing.

Police have thanked the community for the information that lead to the recovery of a substantial amount of stolen property.


South Gippsland Highway crash

EMERGENCY services responded to a single-vehicle incident in Giffard West on the morning of July 13.

It is believed the incident occurred after the vehicle swerved to avoid a kangaroo on the South Gippsland Highway.

A female driver was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

The incident was cleared and the Highway reopened to traffic by midday.