The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) reminds Victorians who want to make the most of Spring weather and undertake renovations around their home to hire a professional.

Consumers must engage a registered builder for most domestic building work worth more than $10,000, including parts and labour.

The VBA’s State Building Surveyor, Andrew Cialini said anyone who uses an unregistered builder or tradesperson risks having no protection from poor-quality work.

“Do your research and ask for some key information upfront, so there are no shocks in the long run,” Mr Cialini said.

“If you do it yourself or hire someone who isn’t registered, the work done won’t be covered by domestic building insurance.

“In Victoria, building practitioners must be registered with the VBA to perform certain kinds of work.”

The VBA has published guides about home renovation and building essentials containing key information about building work.

Mr Cialini said consumers should be wary of anyone offering their building or plumbing services via online marketplaces and mobile apps.

“With the rise of online apps and websites where anyone can advertise their services without qualifications, it’s important to always check the credentials of anyone you hire,” Mr Cialini said.

“Registered practitioners are required to include their name and registration number on any advertising relating to domestic building work.

“You can also check on the VBA website whether the builder or plumber you’re looking to use is registered and whether they’ve faced any disciplinary action.”

Suppose the project exceeds $10,000 and requires structural work or two or more specific trade skills. In that case, you must use a registered building practitioner and enter into a major domestic building contract.

Victorians can visit to ensure their builder or plumber is registered or licensed.