Maffra survives shoot-out

MAFFRA survived a penalty shoot-out to advance to the East Gippsland Hockey Association women’s grand final.

Maffra overcame Sale in Saturday’s major semi-final at Nagle College, Bairnsdale.

After three tight matches this year, it was never going to be different this time. Neither team gave an inch throughout the match.

Neither side was able to score during the first half, with both defences in top form.

Midway through the second half, Maffra took the lead through Jess Cull. However, the lead was short-lived, as Mel Reibel responded just minutes later.

At full time the scores were 1-1 and penalty strokes were needed to determine the first team into the grand final.

Maffra’s stroketakers won the day when Beth Roberts, Adele O’Doherty, Peta Crawford and Jane Gallatly converted their strokes to Sale’s two from Reibel and Sarah Boag.

Sale will play Swan Reach in the preliminary final at Maffra this Saturday, with the winning advancing to the grand final.

THERE was better news for Sale in the open division, with the Swans defeating Swan Reach 5-4 to book their place in the grand final.

SALE won its way into the under 18s grand final after defeating Nagle 5-1.

Maffra’s season ended after losing the minor semi-final to Swan Reach 3-2. Each time Swan Reach took the lead, Maffra clawed it back.

With the scores at 2-2, it was starting to look like penalties. However, Swan Reach broke the deadlock late to win.

Tom Edgar, Filly Lang and Tim Osborn scored for Swan Reach, while Jess Cull and Lachlan White were Maffra’s goal scorers.

IN the under 15s, Maffra defeated Orbost 6-1 in the major semi-final.

Angus Neaves put Maffra on the board in the first 10 minutes with a solid strike from a penalty corner. Maffra soon took control to lead by three goals by half-time after Ben O’Toole and Neaves scored.

In the second half, Maffra added three goals via Kane Dixon, Archy Sellings and Lachlan White. Todd Healey scored a consolation goal for Orbost just before full time.

Sale was knocked out after a losing a penalty shoot-out against Nagle 4-2. Scores were level at 2-2 at full time.

IN the under 13s, Sale defeated Swan Reach 3-1 to advance to the grand final.

Maffra lost the minor semi-final to Nagle 4-1.

Maffra began on the front foot with Nikolas Valette scoring within 10 seconds. However, it all changed for Maffra when Valette was struck on the foot leaving him off the field for much of the game.

Nagle equalised before half-time through Randall Stewart.

In the second half, Nagle began to take control to add three further goals via Randall Stewart, Cassidy Stewart and Keira O’Neill.


Open: major semi-final: Sale 5 d Swan Reach 4; minor semi-final: Orbost 2 d Nagle 1.

Women’s: major semi-final: Maffra 1 drew Sale 1 (Maffra won shoot-out 4-2); minor semi-final: Swan Reach 5 d Nagle 2.

Under 18s: major semi-final: Sale 5 d Nagle 1; minor semi-final: Swan Reach 3 d Maffra 2.

Under 15s: major semi-final: Maffra 6 d Orbost 1; minor semi-final: Nagle 2 drew Sale 2 (Nagle won shoot-out 4-2).

Under 13s: major semi-final: Sale 3 d Swan Reach 1; minor semi-final: Nagle 4 d Maffra 1.

Saturday at Maffra:

Open: Swan Reach v Orbost, 2.30pm

Women’s: Sale v Swan Reach, 1pm.

Under 18s: Nagle v Swan Reach, 11.40am.

Under 15s: Orbost v Nagle, 10.20am.

Under 13s: Swan Reach v Nagle, 9am.