Victory over Trafalgar

SALE United was a big winner over Trafalgar Victory, defeating the visitor 5-1 in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League on Sunday.

Avenging their previous loss to the Victory, the Swans were too good in the cold and windy conditions and put together many set pieces.

Kieran Smith scored two goals for Sale, with one each from Orin Giesbers, Nathi Khamchom and Josh Ryan. Chris Gratton scored for Trafalgar in the second half.

The margin could have been higher but for the many good saves by the Trafalgar keeper Aidan Wyatt.

In the women’s match, Sale lost 0-2. Some players were injured, after a rough match earlier in the week in the Browne-Huzier Cup knockout competition.

The reserves won 3-0, and second division lost 3-2 after being up 2-1 at half-time against Traralgon City.

NEWBOROUGH-YALLOURN United continued on its winning way, defeating Traralgon City 2-0 in a game marred by strong winds and cold weather.

The Combine goaled in each half and held Traralgon City score-less. It was NYU’s sixth successive victory over City.

MONASH disposed of neighbours Moe United. The 3-1 victory was hard-earned, with both sides going in hard but there were many errors in the windy conditions.

TWO goals in the final three minutes saved Traralgon Olympians against Churchill, winning 2-0 on Saturday night.

The Rams had taken the fight to the more experienced Olympians for most of the match.

A cold blustery wind made conditions bad for effective soccer and both teams went wide shooting for goal. Play was mostly on the eastern side of the pitch, which made it difficult to see under the lights.

With only three minutes to play, Olympians were able to grab the first goal of the match, but was not content to stay that way, and added a further score in the 90th minute to condemn Churchill to another loss.

FALCONS defeated Fortuna 3-1, but it wasn’t all smooth sailing as Fortuna battled bravely throughout.

Scores were level at 1-1 at half-time in what was a spirited display by both teams.

Falcons scored first at 20 minutes through Jamie Pistrin, then in a goal mouth scramble, Fortuna replied through Kuku Mahmoud only seven minutes later.

Fortuna came out pumped at halftime and continually attacked, forcing Falcons keeper Charles Simon to save many shots.

The Lions lost Dylan Cramer midway through the half after receiving a second yellow card. Falcons took the advantage and Jessie Kennedy scored after a good cross from Kevin Carcella.

Fortuna lost Liam McCluskey with a straight red when the last man was brought down, which left the Lions with only nine players with still 15 minutes to play.

Falcons didn’t really take the advantage as it repeatedly lost possession, however more manpower resulted in a third goal when sub Gianni Salvatore snuck one through the legs of Andrew Hayden.

Fortuna continually plugged on and two near misses towards the end could have made a big difference.

Fortuna have lost the last six matches against Falcons.

It was a big night for Jesse Kennedy and Joey Auciello, who played their 200th games for Falcons.

EAST Gippsland United had the bye.