Parrots out-played by Eagles

RELATED: Magpies win at Morwell

MAFFRA remains the only undefeated side after four rounds of Gippsland League football.

The Eagles were outstanding in the rematch of last year’s grand final, doubling the score of premier Leongatha to win 13.6 (84) to 6.6 (42).

The visiting Eagles led by a point at quarter-time then kicked four goals to one in the second term to lead by 19 points at the main break. Maffra kicked two unanswered goals to extend its lead to 29 points.

Any hope the Parrots had of winning was squashed during the final term, when the Eagles kicked four goals to two.

Mitch Bennett kicked six goals for Maffra, and now has 24 for the season, 10 more than his nearest challenger on the league standings, Leongatha’s Chris Dunne, who was held to one major on Saturday.

Kade Renooy kicked three goals for the Eagles and Jack Johnstone two.

Best-on-ground Alex Carr was a danger to the Parrots in attack.

Danny Butcher and Ed Carr controlled proceedings in the midfield, alongside ruckman Kieran Jones and Hudson Holmes on the wing.

The Eagles’ defence, led by Sam Pleming, was again tight. Maffra is the only side yet to concede more than 200 points in total this season.

Josh Schelling, Colin Sanbrook and Chris Verboon were strong in defence for the Parrots.

Cade Maskell was Leongatha’s only multiple goal kicker, booting two.

MOE controlled its match against Bairnsdale after quarter-time, winning by 37 points. The visiting Redlegs led by 16 points at quarter-time, but only added six goals for the remainder of the match. The Lions kicked 14 goals after quarter-time on their way to winning 17.12 (114) to 11.11 (77).

The victory moved Moe into second place on the ladder, ahead of Sale on percentage.

Tyson Biffin gave the Lions plenty of run out of half-back, while Jacob Wood used the ball effectively in the midfield.

Darnell Grech kicked four goals.

COMING off a thumping loss at Maffra, Wonthaggi upset Traralgon by 10 points at home.

The Power opened its account for the season with a 10.10 (70) to 9.6 (60) victory.

The home side led by 17 points at half-time before a four-goal to one third term put the Maroons in front. The Power responded with a four-goal to two final quarter.

Steven Scott stood-out at full back for the Power, while Troy Harley kicked three goals.

After defeating premier Leongatha, back-to-back losses have s e en the Maroons falls to seventh place on the ladder.

DROUIN won its first match since the 2016 elimination final on Sunday, defeating local rival Warragul by one point.

Leading by 22 points at three-quarter-time, the Hawks withstood a final term fightback by the Gulls to win 11.18 (84) to 11.17 (83).

Liam Anderson kicked three goals for the Hawks, while Jeb McLeod was integral in the midfield and Joe Collins outstanding at centre half-back.

Onballer Nate Paredes best for Warragul, while Tom Morrow booted three goals.