Demons defeat Dogs

YARRAM kicked seven goals to three in the second half to defeat reigning premier Sale City in a rematch of last year’s North Gippsland football grand final.

On Saturday, the Demons trailed by five points at half-time, but won by 27, 12.23 (95) to 10.8 (68) to remain undefeated after seven rounds.

Running hard to open Sale City’s defence, the home team’s dominance of the second half can be highlighted by its 21 scoring shots to the Bulldogs’ 11.

The Demons led by three points at quarter-time, before the Bulldogs kicked five goals to two to claim the half-time lead.

A three-goal to one quarter put the Demons in front by 10 at the final break, although errant kicking for goal prevented them from taking a commanding lead.

The Demons again had the better of the final term, kicking four goals to two.

Even without Griffin Underwood, Liam Farley, Louis Rodaughan, Olmo Salvatore and Will Bodman were outstanding in the midfield.

Dan Vardy and Bulldog Chris Kelf had a good contest in the ruck.

Josh Tollner and Jacob Schuback were also among the Bulldogs’ best players, while Bohdi Walker kicked three goals.

The Bulldogs remain in fourth place on the ladder, but are only ahead of Woodside and Rosedale on percentage.

TRARALGON-TYERS United won at Rosedale by three goals to remain in second place on the ladder.

Trailing by 14 points at half-time, the Blues kicked four goals to three to reduce the deficit to 10 points at three-quarter-time. The Bombers responded by kicking two goals to one in the fourth term to restore their half-time lead by the final siren, winning 10.8 (68) to 7.8 (50).

Ricky Cochrane and Adam Bailey were TTU’s best players, while Tim Aitken kicked four goals.

Dale Fleming and Rohan Diamond led the way for Rosedale.

THIRD-PLACED Churchill defeated Heyfield by 23 points at home.

The Cougars led the Kangaroos at each change to win 12.8 (80) to 7.15 (57). With two more scoring shots than the Cougars, the visitors’ cause wasn’t helped by inaccurate kicking for goal.

Blake Slater kicked three goals in a best-on-ground effort for the Cougars, while Dean DeGroot and Ben Kearns were also prominent.

James Beha was a strong target at centre half-forward for the Kangaroos, finishing with four goals. Shaun Humphreys worked hard in the ruck, and Scott Anderson was solid at full back.

WOODSIDE moved into the top five with a 53-point win at Cowwarr.

The Wildcats led by three points after a tight first half, but kicked eight goals to three after the main break to win 13.16 (94) to 6.5 (41).

Ryan Foat kicked five goals for the Wildcats, with Bailey Tatnell their best player.

Patrick Tainsh and Will Runciman were prominent for the Saints, who are yet to win this season.

GORMANDALE won its first match since round one, defeating Glengarry by 47 points.

Chase Saunders kicked eight goals as the home side won 17.12 (114) to 10.7 (67).

Brayden Duve and Troy Forrest also troubled the Magpies.