Fortuna breaks Swans drought

AFTER eight tries to defeat Sale United, Fortuna was finally rewarded with a 4-2 victory over the Swans in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League on Sunday.

An 18th minute goal by Fortuna coach David O’Dowd from a Kuku Mahmoud pass saw the Lions take the lead.

Play went end to end with goalkeepers Andrew Heyden (Fortuna) and Damon Stephens (Sale) making good saves.

Mahmoud was a danger player for Fortuna with exciting skills, he was credited with Fortuna’s goal at 24 minutes, but it was an own goal by the Sale keeper to give the home side a 2-0 break.

In a bizarre passage of play at 34 minutes Fortuna scored through Brandon Scott, but Sale, within a minute, scored from a rocket by Josh Ryan, who weaved through a pack and drove it in from 35 metres.

Sale followed up with another goal moments after the kick-off when Orin Giebers crossed to Jeremy Allred, who made no mistake beating Heyden. Three goals had been scored in three minutes. Scott, Harvey Bates and defender Liam McCluskey were all good for Fortuna, while Sale had plenty of goers in Ryan, Jake Patterson and coach Ross McWhirter.

Fortuna led 3-2 after what had been a busy first half.

Sale got going in the second half, but couldn’t find the openings. Multiple shots from Nick Buckhoreelall and Nathi Khamchorm were saved on the line by the Fortuna keeper.

Neither team could score but there were many good chances for both. Fortuna had eight corners in the second half as Sale was forced to defend, while the Swans had seven.

With time running out for Sale, O’Dowd put away Fortuna’s fourth goal against the run of play at 88 minutes.

ALRADI Ali became the hero for Traralgon Olympians, scoring a vital late goal to secure a 3-2 win over Newborough-Yallourn United.

Olympians was first on the board when a crossball caught Jayden Steele on the run and he smoothly put it past the keeper on the quarter hour.

The Combine tried to reply, but a strong Olympians defence thwarted all attempts.

NYU had many chances in the second half and one that went in was from Ash Birrell on the hour to level the scores.

Olympians regained the lead at 70 minutes through Jordie Campbell. Not to be outdone in the competitive match, Dylan Fairbrother equalised at 84 minutes.

Olympians had to push forward and, with the clock winding down, Ali produced some magic and scored at 88 minutes to seal a win for the home side.

MOE United and Traralgon City fought out a thrilling 2-2 draw.

Moe opened the scoring 10 minutes in through Lachlan McKenzie, with the equaliser coming 10 minutes later through DJ Matar.

After the break, Moe regained a big advantage when Riley Winkelman-Atkinson got one past the City keeper.

The Red Devils then went into defensive mode to keep the Roosters from scoring and held their one-goal advantage for another 15 minutes until a volley from Dak Kong went in with only minutes to play.

The Roosters pressed further, gaining two corners, which were cleared by Moe as time ran out with both sharing the points.

TRAFALGAR Victory defeated East Gippsland United 6-3.

Nathaniel Paredes was the star, charting four goals for the Victory. Aiden Wyatt chipped in the other two to complete the rout.

The Eagles were competitive, with two goals from Thomas Foster and one from Zeb McLeod.

ON Saturday night, Falcons was hard pressed by a feisty Churchill United team, but the ladder leader defeated the bottom side 2-1.

The Rams had Falcons on the ropes after Jarryd Johnson scored for midway through the first half.

Falcons coach Nick D’Alessandro had a few choice words for his charges during the break, and they looked a different team in the second half. Bench warmer Nonda Lazaris got Falcons on the board with a good strike for his first senior goal, and then Jamie Pistrin got the break with a superb goal.

MONASH had the bye.