United too strong

SALE United defeated Trafalgar Victory 5-1 to consolidate third place on the Latrobe Valley Soccer League ladder.

Although conditions were trying on Sunday at Trafalgar, both sides put on an entertaining clash.

The Swans gained their first goal through Josh Ryan 10 minutes in, before Nathi Khamchom crashed in for their second 11 minutes later.

Trafalgar missed opportunities with Sale’s goal keeper able to push away the Victory’s attempts.

A third Sale goal from Ryan settled the team down before the half-hour.

Tommy Nguyen got into the act for Sale with the Swans’ fourth goal coming up at 54 minutes.

Trafalgar may have been down, but was not certainly out of the match, as Adrian Wyatt responded with a cracking goal to give the Victory some hope, but Sale responded not much later when Nguyen scored his second. 

ALSO on Sunday, Newborough-Yallourn United defeated Traralgon City 4-2.

Continual rain made the pitch dangerous, but both teams were content to keep playing.

The Combine broke the shackles early when Ash Birrell was allowed space and he drove it in for the first at 12 minutes in.

NYU was getting the better of City, but still had to work hard under pressure. Mark Fairbrother scored his 12th goal for the season, beating the keeper to put NYU two up after 25 minutes.

The weather improved after the break, and fans witnessed some good work from both teams.

NYU’s Shayne Pavich got on the end of a good cross and he made no mistake, edging one past the keeper for his team’s third.

Trailing 3-0 didn’t suit Traralgon City, which began to fight back. Liam Johnson fired a goal in at 64 minutes, with Alex Leckey scoring six minutes later.

NYU relieved the pressure with five minutes remaining when Hayden Tanti scored. 

CHURCHILL United broke through for its first win in almost a year on Saturday, defeating Traralgon Olympians 2-1. It was the Rams’ first victory in 19 matches.

With both teams struggling in the wintry conditions, Churchill opened the scoring when veteran Paul Reiss got a good pass, baulked an opposition player and shot the ball past Chris Alimpic.

Olympians counter-attacked, but Churchill proved strong across the back.

After half-time both teams were loath to re-enter the pitch as conditions got worse, but it was play on.

Churchill went two-up after Josh Gangi scored a bolter.

A consolation goal by Tony Pardo in the dying minute gave Olympians some hope, but time got the better of it as the Rams won to take them off the bottom of the ladder.

BECAUSE of terrible weather and pitch conditions, two important matches have been postponed.

The matches between Falcons and Fortuna, and Moe United and Monash look set to be played on September 2.

EAST Gippsland United had the bye.