Maffra thumps Morwell

David Braithwaite

RELATED: Magpies overcome Hawks

MAFFRA returned to the Gippsland League football winners’ list with a resounding 96-point victory at Morwell.

In wintry conditions at Morwell on Saturday, the Eagles conceded just three goals for the match on their way to winning 17.18 (120) to 3.6 (24).

Mitch Bennett out-scored the home side off his own boot, kicking five goals, while Daniel Bedggood booted three.

The Tigers didn’t manage to kick a goal until the 24th minute of the second term — by then, the Eagles had already kicked nine.

Five unanswered goals gave Maffra a 33-point quarter-time lead, with the margin extended to 49 by the main break.

With percentage likely to play a part in deciding the minor premiership, the Eagles kept going in the second half, kicking eight goals to two.

The big victory added 11 points to Maffra’s percentage. The ladder-leading Eagles remain ahead of Leongatha on percentage.

Sam Pleming and Jarryd Clohesy led a tight defence, which only gave away nine scoring shots.

Jack Johnstone, Lachlan Channing and Andrew Petrou providing a strong link between attack and midfield, which Danny Butcher again prominent on the ball in the absence of Kel Porter.

Ryan Tatterson, Joel Soutar and Zac Anderson worked hard in the midfield for the Tigers, with forwards Tyler Hillier and Anthony Rosato doing well despite limited opportunities.

With three wins, the Tigers remain in eighth place on the ladder and out of finals contention.

MISFIRED shots for goal did not upset the rhythm of defending premier Leongatha, which marched to its 12th number of the Gippsland League season at the expense of Moe.

The Lions went with the Parrots until the main break and trailed by just three and two points at quarter and half-time, respectively.

Leongatha kicked into gear in the third with six goals, while restricting the visitors to two behinds, to put the game to bed with a 38-point buffer at the final break.

The Parrots had 30 scoring shots for nine majors, but it was their nine behinds from as many opportunities in the final quarter that saved the Lions from complete humiliation.

The Parrots won 9.21 (75) to 6.7 (43).

Josh Schelling and Col Sanbrook were outstanding across half-back for the Parrots, while John Ginnane bagged three goals.

Despite the loss, Moe hangs on to fourth spot on the ladder, ahead of Warragul on percentage.

WARRAGUL leap-frogged Traralgon into fifth spot on the ladder with a season-defining win on the road.

The Maroons weren’t able to make up for a slow start, which had them goalless at half-time with four behinds on the board as the Gulls won 8.19 (67) to 6.6 (42).

They broke the dry run early in the third for their first major and managed another five for the day, but were saved from a blow-out thanks to some errant kicking for goal from the Gulls.

The visitors were goal-less in the final term, kicking six behinds.

Matt Rennie stood-out at centre half-forward for the Gulls, while Tom Muir led the charge in the midfield and Matt Ross kicked three goals.

Dylan Loprese kicked four of Traralgon’s six goals.

The victory puts the Gulls four points ahead of the Maroons on the ladder, but have a difficult end to their season, with matches against Leongatha, Maffra, Sale and Bairnsdale. The Maroons will make the trip to Drouin this weekend, before facing Moe, Maffra and Morwell in the run home.

BAIRNSDALE led at every change during their visit to Wonthaggi, returning with the premiership points and a 40-point win, 10.11 (71) to 3.13 (31).

The Power was ultimately undone by its inaccuracy in front of goal, going into the main break with one goal from six scoring shots. The home side finished with fire in the final term, but a further eight behinds from nine scoring shots meant it fell well short at the final siren.

Centre half-forward Ethan East was the Redlegs’ best player, working with fellow forward Ricky Tatnell. — with Kate Withers