Falcons fly high

Laurie Williams

IN what was touted as the match of the round in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League, top team Falcons easily defeated third-placed Sale United 4-0.

Playing at home on Sunday, the Swans had no answer to the pressure applied by Falcons, which held possession and moved around the park to set-up scoring opportunities.

Good chances for Sale went begging, but Falcon Sam Amaira got the breakthrough, scoring at 27 minutes. Amaria followed up with a solo run only four minutes later to give the visitors a 2-0 edge.

Jamie Pistrin put Falcons three up before the break. League goal scoring ace Jesse Kennedy completed the rout well with 20 minutes remaining in the match.

MOE United jumped up to fifth place on the ladder after defeating Fortuna 4-3.

Fortuna got the break 10 minutes in, with Brandon Scott scoring, but the Red Devils equalised only five minutes later through Nick Dastey.

It was a tough match with sliding tackles being watched carefully, and the late rain making conditions slippery.

Fortuna scored again on 37 minutes from Brandon Scott, again but Moe equalised only a minute later through Sam Gatpan.

The Lions hit the front for the third time when a defensive error by Moe allowed an own goal on the hour.

Riley Winkelman-Atkinson stood up to produce some magic for the Red Devils at 70 minutes to equalise again.

Tempers were frayed, but Moe steadied when Gatpan scored the winner on 86 minutes.

The loss pushed Fortuna down to seventh place.

MONASH was big 5-1 winner over Traralgon City.

It took only three minutes for Monash to score through Ethan Lawrence.

Reliable defender Marcus Krznaric pushed forward to net the Wolves’ second goal at 15 minutes, before Chris Oulton scored on the half hour.

It was turning into a rout when Oulton scored his second goal early in the second half.

Liam Aqualina saved the day for Traralgon City, denying Monash keeper Enda Murphy a clean sheet when he popped one through at 71 minutes.

Ryan Semple finished the game on a high, scoring on 90 minutes for the Wolves.

TRARALGON Olympians was pushed by East Gippsland United, but was victorious 4-2.

Jaydon Steele scored twice for Olympians, with one each from Germaine Otieno and Alradi Ali.

Ben Gillard and Zeb McLeod scored the Eagles.

CHURCHILL United inflicted a punishing 4-0 win over Trafalgar Victory.

NEWBOROUGH-YALLOURN United had the bye.