Wolves devour Swans

Laurie Williams

MONASH knocked Sale out of the Latrobe Valley Soccer League top six after losing a one-sided final round match on Sunday.

The Wolves amassed six goals, equalling their highest against the Swans a decade ago.

Monash was without Braden Paulett, who was playing in the Mid Gippsland football finals, but covered his loss, giving Sale no quarter or goals.

Goals came thick and fast for the home side, with the first at two minutes from Chris Oulton, then Ethan Lawrence scored the first of his hat-trick at 27 minutes, and at 45 minutes Shawn Lawrence popped in for a goal, which saw Monash go in at the break 3-0 up.

Sale had no answer to the brilliance of the Monash side, which chipped the ball around the park keeping the ball away from the usual Swans strikers.

Two more goals to Ethan Lawrence and one to Tom Bramstedt wrapped up the match for a huge 6-0 win.

A BIG scoring Newborough-Yallourn United brought Churchill United’s poor season to an abrupt finish.

The Combine scored its highest ever win over Churchill since joining the league in 1997. In fact, it was only its sixth ever win over the Rams in 41 games.

Goals came steadily with the first at three minutes from Marc McHallam, then at six from Ash Birrell, and 11 minutes Shayne Pavich, which saw them 3-0 within the first 15 minutes.

Churchill crossed the line at 33 minutes from Tom Schneider to get one back before half-time.

It was a goalfest for NYU after the break, adding another five goals to win 8-1. Marc McHallam scored three to bring his game tally to four, while Alex Van Vliet and Clayton Bell finished the rout.

FALCONS just hung on against a bullish Moe United, which gave it all to stay a finals prospect, but was let down at 33 minutes when a penalty was awarded against them.

For Falcons it was relief, with Sam Amaira scoring from the spot kick to give eventual victory to the champion, 1-0.

Three yellow cards were issued right on 90 minutes, as players rushed in to trade comments with each other.

With one match to play, Sam Amaira has a chance of taking the league goal scoring trophy only one behind the leader Jesse Kennedy, who is out injured.

FORTUNA marked East Gippsland United’s final match of the season with a 4-0 victory.

The Lions took a long time to break down East Gippsland, but cracks appeared and at 39 minutes Damon Scott scored Fortuna’s first.

After the break it was a one-way avenue to goal, and although East Gippsland fought hard, it couldn’t score.

Fortuna added a further three goals to finish a 4-0 winner, with the Scott boys among the goals, Damon scoring another and Brandon scoring a brace.

TRARALGON City had a field day against Trafalgar Victory, winning 7-0.

Daniel Holt scored the first at five minutes, then Jake Budija scored twice, DJ Matar produced his best with a brace, and Max Campbell also got on the board with a brace.

Even with the big win Traralgon City missed the finals by two points.

TRARALGON Olympians had the bye.