Parrots prevail over Eagles again

David Braithwaite

RELATED: Pies hold on at home

THREE unanswered goals in the first quarter gave Leongatha victory over Maffra.

The grand final rematch at Leongatha was held during the opening round of Gippsland League football.

After unfurling their 2018 premiership flag, the Parrots won 10.11 (71) to 9.5 (59).

Leongatha has now won its past four matches against the Eagles.

The strong start served the Parrots well, as they held off Maffra’s comeback to win by 12 points.

Sam Forrester stood-out for the Parrots in defence, while Cade Maskell directed play in attack.

Josh Hopkins, Matt Borschmann and Kyle Cooper more than took the fight up to the Eagles’ strong midfield.

Parrot James Lloyd led all goal kickers, booting three.

Andrew Petrou, Jack Johnstone and recruit Curtley Nettleton kicked two goals each for the Eagles.

Nettleton and Daniel Bedggood worked well together in attack, which is a positive to come out of the match.

Kade Renooy provided run off half-back, combining with Danny Butcher and Hudson Holmes in the midfield.

The Parrots took a 20-point lead into quarter-time. The Eagles ate into the deficit during the second term, kicking three goals to two to trail by 17 at the main break.

Leongatha edged further ahead after kicking four goals to three during the third quarter, to lead by 24 heading into the final term.

The margin proved too much for the visitors, despite kicking three goals to one in the final quarter.

MOE defeated Morwell 14.17 (101) to 8.7 (55).

Darnell Grech and Spencer White kicked three goals each for the Lions, and troubled the host’s defence, along with best-on-ground Ash Dugan.

Josh Hecker and James Jacobsen were Morwell’s best players.

Moe has won its past eight matches against the Tigers.

DROUIN ended a run of 18 straight losses to Traralgon, defeating the Marrons 10.16 (76) to 8.13 (61) at home.

Traralgon held a three-point lead at the first break, but a goal just short of the two-minute mark in the second quarter by Drouin’s Rhys Salter put the Hawks in front and the Hawks were never headed for the rest of the match.

The home side led by two points at half-time, 18 at three-quarter-time and closed out a solid performance with a 15-point victory.

Salter led the way with three goals, while Joseph Collins was strong in defence.

Jackson Hall worked hard in the midfield for Traralgon, while Dylan Loprese kicked three goals.

WONTHAGGI defeated Warragul by 39 points at home.

After leading by six points at quarter-time, the Power kicked five goals to one in the second term to set-up its 12.9 (81) to 5.12 (42) win.

Aiden Lindsay stood out for the Power, while Patrick Ryan and Mitch Betson kicked three goals each. Warragul coach Ben Hughes kicked three goals.