Blues beaten by Bombers

David Braithwaite

ROSEDALE’S hold on third place on the North Gippsland football ladder was loosened after losing to Traralgon-Tyers United by nine points on Saturday.

The Blues were left to rue missed opportunities in the final term, when they kicked 2.7 to fall short of the Bombers, 9.6 (60) to 6.15 (51).

The Blues are now only ahead of fourth-placed Heyfield on percentage, while the Bombers remain in fifth spot, a game ahead of Sale City.

TTU kicked the only three goals of the first quarter, before both sides booted two in the second, with the Bombers leading by nine points at the long break.

The visitors edged further ahead in the third term to lead by 15 at the final change. Both sides had 12 scoring shots over the first three quarters.

The Blues had nine scoring shots in the final term, but managed just two goals, while the Bombers kicked two goals from their three shots to win by the same margin as their half-time lead.

Zach Kilgower, Ben White and Guy Sinclair were TTU’s best players, with coach Michael Duncan kicking three goals.

For Rosedale, Joel Bristow and Sam Tudor were strong in defence, Brad Scott was a good target in attack, while Ben Jones and Rohan Diamond worked hard in the midfield.

SALE City boosted its percentage with a 206-point belting of Gormandale.

With percentage possibly determining their finals fate, the Bulldogs returned home with a 34.15 (219) to 1.7 (13) victory.

The Bulldogs had 10 players kick goals, led by Bohdi Walker with 11, Kerrod Macgregor-Davies five, Jacob Schuback and Nick Grainger four each, and Josh Tollner three.

Kodie Owen kicked Gormandale’s only goal in the first quarter, during which the Bulldogs booted seven majors.

By half-time, City led by 88 points, before booting 19 unanswered goals in the second half.

City midfielders Schuback, Tollner and Ben Chivers had the ball on a string, helped by Elliot Hunt’s work in the ruck.

Tom Bowman led a defence which didn’t give the Tigers much room to move.

HEYFIELD won at Woodside by 42 points, 10.12 (72) to 4.6 (30).

Leading by three points at quarter-time, the Kangaroos took the Wildcats out of the contest during the second term, kicking four unanswered goals to lead by 33 points at half-time.

That proved to be the difference, as the Kangaroos kicked four goals to the Wildcats three in the second half.

Nick Woodland kicked five goals for the Kangaroos, while Jesse Beddgood booted two in his 150th senior game for the club.

Scott Anderson continued his stellar run of form at full back, alongside Brad Berry, and Brayden Woodland. Bailey Escreet and Jack Woodland performed well in the midfield.

Frazer Ryan and Ryan Foat were Woodside’s best players.

COWWARR’S already uphill battle to make the finals became steeper after a 28-point loss to ladder leader Churchill.

After losing at home 15.9 (99) to 10.11 (71), the Saints are four wins outside the top five with four rounds to play.

The Saints took the game up to the Cougars, trailing by five points after a high scoring first quarter, but the visitors showed their class by kicking four unanswered goals in the second term to lead by 26 points at half-time.

The teams kicked five goals each in the second half.

Brendan Mason led the way for the Cougars, while Blake Slater kicked five goals and Ben Kearns four.

Nick Wozniak, Mat Leicester and Kurt Henderson was the Saints’ best players.

YARRAM thumped Glengarry by 174 points.

The visiting Demons won 33.17 (215) to 6.5 (41), with Jack Moore kicking seven goals, Jake McFarland five, best-on-ground Louis Rodaughan four, and Griffin Underwood and Dan Vardy three each.