Rain forces soccer rescheduling

Laurie Williams

RAIN across the region caused many Latrobe Valley Soccer League matches to be rescheduled.

Unsafe ground conditions led to three of Sunday’s senior matches, including Sale United’s match against Traralgon City at Traralgon, being rescheduled to September 1.

Most junior matches scheduled for Saturday, including those involving Sale United, were also abandoned and will be played this weekend.

NEWBOROUGH-YALLOURN United was crowned league champion for the first time after defeating Moe United 4-1.

Since Newborough and Yallourn merged in 1995, the club has only won silverware in second division.

Conditions on Sunday were tough for both teams, but Moe was into the action early with Nick Dastey claiming the first goal 18 minutes in.M ark Fairbrother made amends for the lapse in concentration equalising at 36 minutes for the home side.

NYU pressed hard in the second stanza and was rewarded when league leading goal scorer Hayden Tanti beat the keeper to score on 52 minutes.

Moe was pushing back, but Tanti was again at the end of a slick pass from Fairbrother to notch his second goal. Tanti again with brilliance let one fly to beat the outstretched arms of Peter Albanese to score his hat-trick.

IN the only other match played, Churchill United was too good for Trafalgar Victory, winning 3-0.

Churchill was forced to replace coach Bryce Ruthven, who resigned with only three matches to play. Last year’s coach Dean Pyle took on the caretaker role.

Liam Johnson and Majok Deng scored goals for the Rams within the first 25 minutes.

Trafalgar had periods of play in which it could have scored, but poor presentation and ball skills in the conditions restricted the Victory’s scoring ability.

Johnson assured Churchill of a good win with his second goal at 72 minutes.

IN the women’s, Trafalgar had a big 8-0 win over Churchill, Moe held NYU to a 1-1 draw, and, on the synthetic pitch at Morwell, Falcons and Monash fought out a thrilling 3-3 draw.