Eagles over-Powered at home

Maffra's John Butcher gets a handpass away before being tackled by Wonthaggi's Josh Bates. Photo: David Braithwaite

David Braithwaite

WONTHAGGI made a statement in defeating Gippsland League football premier Maffra by 62 points on Saturday.

The Power produced its first win in Maffra since 2014 with a 15.12 (102) to 6.4 (40) victory. The result ended the Eagles’ run of seven consecutive wins over the Power.

The visitors put on an impressive display, applying plenty of pressure when the Eagles had the ball, creating many turnovers.

The Power’s running game then set up numerous scoring opportunities, with inaccuracy during the first and third quarters preventing a greater margin.

Both teams kicked a goal in the opening quarter, although the Power had eight scoring shots to three to lead by five points at the break.

The Eagles didn’t trouble the scoreboard operator during the second term.

Luke O’Connor extended the deficit to 11 points with a Wonthaggi goal early in the second term. It took until time-on for the Power to kick its second goal, when Troy Harley’s kick from long range kick just avoided the hands of the Maffra defence.

Darcy Brosnan kicked the third goal of the term shortly before half-time after out-marking his opponent. The Power led by 24 points at the main break.

Goals from Jack Blair (following back-to-back 50 metre penalties), Jordan Staley and Harley gave the Power a 44-point lead 13 minutes into the third quarter.

The Eagles kicked their first goal since the first quarter in the 17th minute of the third, only for Harley to kick a goal a minute later.

Wonthaggi added two more goals to lead by 57 points at three-quarter-time.

The final term was a tighter affair, but the Power still out-scored the home side five goals to four to maintain its undefeated start to the season.

Power coach Jarryd Blair typified his side’s running came with a best-on-ground performance through the midfield, with brother Jack also strong around the ground. Harley finished the game with five goals.

Kade Renooy, Danny Butcher and Tom Gray were valiant for the Eagles in the midfield, while James Read performed well in defence in his return from concussion.

Maffra forward Daniel Bedggood played his 200th senior game, but the milestone was not enough to inspire the Eagles, who are now in seventh place on the ladder with one win from four matches.

Pies out-played by slick Hawks

SALE went down to a determined and slick Drouin outfit by 29 points.

Drouin jumped out of the blocks, quickly kicking three goals before Sale got its first with a long bomb from Jonty McGuiness following a beautiful pass from skipper Jordan Dessent.

The Hawks added another goal to take a 15-point lead into quarter-time.

After a rev up from coach Jack Johnstone, Sale had all the play in the second quarter, keeping Drouin goal-less, but only adding two goals to make the difference two points at the main break.

With the game in the balance, Drouin took control in the third quarter, kicking six goals to two, setting up its win with quick movement of the ball around the ground.

The game fizzled out, with both sides adding just two goals each in the final quarter, as the Hawks ran out comfortable winners, 12.8 (80) to 7.9 (51).

Daine McGuiness dominated the ruck in his best game for the club so far, and Will Leslie and Mitch Dowse were the other best players for Sale, while for Drouin Jacob Konstanty was outstanding with four goals.

The previously undefeated Magpies were missing key players John Gooch, Kane Martin, coach Johnstone and Brad Dessent.

IT was a plentiful trip east for Traralgon, as a Jake Best masterclass inspired his team to a 19.20 (134) to 6.4 (40) win at Bairnsdale.

Taking a daunting 61-point lead into the second half, Traralgon did not let up in the third stanza with its hard-contested brand of football proving too much for the bruised and battered Redlegs outfit.

As the lead blew out past 100-points in the shadows of three-quarter-time, the Maroons would put the cue in the rack in the final term, as Bairnsdale showed a bit of fight to win the final quarter and keep the final margin in double figures.

The Redlegs defenders were powerless to stop Best in the air and on the ground, as the Maroons coach finished with seven goals. Matt Northe was again prominent through the middle of the ground, while wingman Nicholas Lowden kicked three goals.

MORWELL was unable to register its first win of the season as Leongatha continued its rich vein of form with a convincing 10.13 (73) to 4.7 (31) victory.

The Parrots got the early jump with a four-goal to one first quarter. Morwell began to get the game back on its terms in the second term but was unable to make any true dent on the scoreboard as Leongatha went into the main change 25 points to the good.

The class and experience of the Parrots got them on top as they kicked three unanswered goals to take an unassailable 43-point lead into three-quarter-time.

Aaron Heppell put together yet another strong performance leading Leongatha’s midfield, with Matthew Borschman best-on-ground.

MOE continued its undefeated start to the season with a comfortable 15.17 (107) to 7.9 (51) victory over Warragul on Sunday.

It was a tight start at Western Park as the Gulls got on top early, but struggled to convert with a score line of 2.6 (18) at the first change.

The Lions took advantage of their opponent’s inaccuracy in the second term, kicking six goals to take a comfortable 21-point lead into half-time.

Moe continued to dominate into the third quarter, with the class and experience of its midfield getting on top and putting the young Warragul side to the sword.

Kristian Jaksch was the star of the show up forward for the Lions, kicking four goals to solidify his place atop the league’s goal kicking list, while Scott Van Dyk was prominent all day across half-back in what was a best-on-ground performance.

– with Matt McGuiness and Zac Standish