Lions maul Swans

Laurie Williams

FORTUNA got its night vision in focus with an 8-2 win over Sale United in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League on Saturday night.

The Lions have been criticised lately for underachieving, but that was forgotten as they steamrolled Sale in a one-sided match in Morwell.

Sale got the first laugh over Fortuna with a first minute goal from Cooper Coleman, which shook the Lions’ camp, but Hayden Tanti released a bomb only two minutes later to level the scores. From then on, Fortuna took control, rattling on three goals up to half-time from Joel Palermo, Jordan Campbell and Tanti.

The pattern continued after the break as Fortuna controlled the match, giving Sale little opportunity to score.

Fortuna coach Campbell’s leadership and style set the tone for his team, with his efforts rewarded with a second half hat-trick, bringing his tally to four for the game.

Sale made a desperate foray towards goal near the end and was rewarded with the final goal.

FALCONS thrashed Monash 4-0 in a one-sided contest.

Conditions were cold under the lights, but Falcons produced the heat to get the job done to remain on top of the ladder.

Early chances for Monash were brushed away by the tight defending of Falcons, who got the break in the 38th minutes when Connor Clarke scored. Only two minutes, the home side scored through another defender, Joey Auciello.

It didn’t get any better for Monash after refreshments as Falcons scored only four minutes into the second half when Nanda Lazaris swooped to gain the ball and fire from close range. Lazaris followed it up with a second goal in the 83rd minute.

Monash resisted more heavy pressure from Falcons, but still couldn’t bridge the gap.

THREE first half goals gave Moe United a 3-0 victory over Traralgon Olympians.

The fired-up Red Devils broke the deadlock in the 22nd minute, when Riley Winkelman crossed to Tanner Pyle, who controlled the ball, sprinted down the left, cut inside the fullback and drilled it into the net.

Seven minutes later, Pyle headed the ball to Lachlan McKenzie, who made no mistake for Moe’s second goal.

Moe’s third came at the 33-minute mark, when an unguarded Connor O’Hanlon made a run and lobbed the ball goal wards which found Riley Winkelman rising to head the ball in.

Moe couldn’t add to its score in the second half as Olympians put on the pressure.

AFTER a disappointing start to the season, Churchill United broke through for a win on Sunday, defeating a determined East Gippsland United team 1-0.

The game looked set to be a 0-0 draw, but Brad Sands managed to beat the keeper in the 89th minute.

MORWELL Pegasus claimed its first win over Traralgon City since coming back into the local competition.

Just before the break, Pegasus got their chance when Kuku Mahmoud crossed to the running Andre Antonopoulos, who belted it into the net for what proved to be the decisive goal.

NEWBOROUGH-YALLOURN United, fresh after the bye, will host Sale on Sunday.

Sale has been below expectations so far this season, but the Combine won’t be expecting an easy game as the Swans are known to score early to put the pressure on the opposition.

Also on Sunday, Olympians, a team running hot and cold at the moment, face its moment of truth against Fortuna.

On the road again, East Gippsland will face up to Moe, which is playing well at the moment.

Monash and Churchill, two underrated teams, will square off on Sunday.

Falcons will host Traralgon City on Saturday night.

Pegasus has the bye.