Sale United headed to Newborough to take on Monash Soccer Club last Sunday.

The Round 16 match in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League was a long-awaited one for Sale’s Second Division team, after consecutive weeks of byes.

Sale headed into the game determined, but unfortunately fell well short, losing 4-1.

The Swans’ only goal came from Mauricio Yanez.

The Reserves also lost, going down 3-0.

The result put an end to a six-game winning streak for Sale United in the reserves.

Sale United’s senior team then took the field, and came out hard and fast against Monash, desperate to make amends for their 2-0 loss against East Gippsland in the previous game.

A flawless back-and-forth between Isaak Jondahl and Marrien Van Den Heuvel gave Sale United a golden opportunity in the 21st minute.

Van Den Heuvel played the ball to Jondahl at the top of the box, and the young Swan belted the ball toward the goal, too good for Monash goalkeeper Jamie Kent, setting Sale to a 1-0 lead.

The heat was turned up, and both teams pressed desperately as the seconds peeled away and the end of the first half approached.

The Swans scored again in the 38th minute through Sakhon ‘Ot’ Khamchom. Following the break, Monash hit back, as Sale’s defensive line lost concentration and their legs, and eventually won 3-2.

Swans coach Anouk Meereboer said it was a classic case of ‘a game of two halves’.

“Seniors had their best first half of the season,” she said.

“Unfortunately, they weren’t able to put away a few extra goals and make it easier for themselves in the second half.”

It wasn’t all bad news for the Swans, with the women securing yet another victory, ascertaining their status as Sale United’s golden team.

The Swanettes responded after a rude awakening left them down 1-0.

Firing up, the girls were off, and Isabel Hearsey equalised the game’s score 60 seconds after Monash had scored.

Less than a minute later, Sammi Kent scored for Sale United taking them to a 2-1 lead in the ninth minute of the game.

At 15 minutes, Kent pressed forward toward the goal and kicked her second of the match.

After the break, Swanette Shannon Hunt furthered Sale’s lead 4-1, in the 58th minute.

In the game’s 75th minute, Hearsey knocked in her second goal, extending the lead even further, 5-1.

A deflection across the goal line from Monash granted Sale a corner in the 90th minute, which playing-coach Madelaine Breakspear nailed into the left corner of the goal.

Post-game, Breakspear said it was a tough choice to pick a best-on-field.

“Best-on-ground was tricky as so many of my young girls stepped up, but best-on-ground goes to Sammi Kent,” Breakspear said.

“Sammi had a blinder of a game, scoring two goals, and the opposition could not stop her.

Heading into the final games of the season before taking on Fortuna in the Knockout Cup game, Breakspear will focus on building her team’s confidence and focus further.

“Our girls are becoming more confident, but that’s still an area I’m working really hard with them on improving,” she said.

“Their confidence and belief in their ability will be a big focus over the next few weeks, as we build towards the Knockout Cup game against Fortuna.”