Since 2004, the Heyfield and Districts Historical Society’s collection has been housed in the old fire shed adjacent to the saleyards in Heyfield.
However the collection has outgrown the shed and, while the group is extremely grateful to the local owner for granting use of the venue at a nominal rent for more than a decade, it now hopes to relocate to the former post office in Temple St.
The solid brick building, almost four times larger than the current site, easily lends itself to use as a museum and a fundraising campaign will be launched at the Australia Day breakfast in Apex Park, Heyfield.
Open on the first Saturday of each month, the museum has enjoyed a steadily increasing numbers of visitors.
Through generous donations from Heyfield and the surrounding communities, the collection has reached the stage where the larger building is needed for storage and display.
The group recently made the decision to attempt to raise funds to buy and refurbish the former post office.
Built in 1925, the post office building is one of a handful of sites in Heyfield under consideration as a heritage site within Wellington Shire.
For more details see the museum’s Facebook page, or phone Merryn Stevenson on 5148 0505.