THE will be another week of free travel on the V/Line network this week.
Public Transport Minister Jacinta Allan made the announcement following the resignation of V/Line chief executive Theo Taifalos.
There is no word yet on a date for full train services to resume, and Vlocity trains will be banned from travelling west of Pakenham for at least six more weeks.
The free travel period will be offered until the last service this Sunday night.
Mr Taifolos offered his resignation on Wednesday night after the company failed to resolve issues involving train wheels and boom gates quickly enough.
V/Line is expected to undergo a full review of its practices in the wake of the disruption, and the government has announced that Gary Liddle will be the interim CEO.
Mr Liddle is currently the chief of Public Transport Victoria and the former CEO of VicRoads.
While services will not be cancelled, almost all trains between Traralgon and Melbourne will be replaced by buses, and passengers should expect delays.
In separate statements, both Ms Allan and Gippsland South MLA Danny O’Brien said the disruptions were “unacceptable”.
“Last week, the government was told the problems had been identified and the vast majority of services would be up and running by the end of the week,” Ms Allan said.
“This advice from V/Line was wrong and this unacceptable situation has caused the government to lose confidence in the leadership of V/Line.
“The CEO has resigned effective immediately.”