COVID-19 cases rising in Victoria

WELLINGTON Shire recorded its first case of COVID-19 on Monday.

At the time of print, there was still only one case each in Wellington Shire, East Gippsland, South Gippsland and Bass Coast, and two in Latrobe and Baw Baw.

There were also eight confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Victoria that may have been acquired from community transmission.

The total number of cases in Victoria was 520, with 52 new cases in Victoria overnight Wednesday.

As of yesterday morning 12 people were in hospital, including two patients in intensive care – one aged in their 30s, and one in their 60s.

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton Thursday morning confirmed the deaths of two men in their 70s in Victoria.

One hundred and twenty-eight people have recovered.

More than 25,500 Victorians have been tested to date.

Men have been more highly represented in case numbers, with the total number of cases as of Wednesday including 271 men and 191 women (with four cases under investigation).

People are aged from pre-school to their late 80s.

Of the total 466 cases on Wednesday, there were 386 in metropolitan Melbourne and 47 in regional Victoria. An updated regional-city breakdown was not available at the time of print.

A number of cases remain under investigation.

The Department of Health and Human Services follows up and monitors all close contacts of confirmed cases and provides them with information and support. All close contacts must self-isolate for 14 days.

All people arriving from any international destination must also self-isolate for 14 days as per Commonwealth government directions.

While most Victorians are voluntarily complying with requests to isolate, police have strong powers to enforce the direction if it’s required. Under the State of Emergency, people who don’t comply with a directive could receive a fine of up to $20,000.

Companies face fines of up to $100,000.

There is a hotline for public information on COVID-19, available by phoning 1800 675 398.

Large numbers of calls will result in some delays and people have been asked to be patient as DHHS works to manage the volume.

More information is available at