Blues claim Anzac honours

ROSEDALE unleashed a withering attack on the previously undefeated Traralgon-Tyers United to claim back-to-back Anzac Day victories.

With rain tumbling down for the majority of the contest, the Blues dominated the contested ball in slippery conditions, as they made the Bombers pay on the scoreboard, winning 16.11 (107) to 8.11 (59).

The home side ran away with the match, boasting seven scoring shots to two in the first quarter. 

The flood of goals continued after the first change as the Blues booted seven goals straight in an exceptional first half to set-up victory.

Taking early control in the clearance battle, ruckman Frazar Brouns fed the ball to the fleet footed running brigade of Dale Fleming, Adam Mitchell, Adam Diamond and coach Ben Macreadie who looked to have the goods throughout the contest. The Blues’ engine room was at its damaging best, and was equally matched by trademark run and drive off half-back.

The midfield’s tenacity at the ball helped Rosedale hold the upper hand in the contests, but the difference in the end would come down to Rosedale’s ability to score when going forward.

Andrew Flanagan taking to the conditions like a duck to water as he marked the ball in the forward 50 time and time again. 

The full forward finished the contest with three majors, with Brouns the next best with two.

Leading from the onset, the Blues were sharp and well-drilled, with best-on-ground Fleming leading the charge as the side went into the first change 20 points up.

Brian Graham broke the trend of Blues majors, scoring TTU’s first just shy of half-time. The Bombers made it two in a row after gathering the ball from the centre bounce.

A Macreadie goal gave the Blues a 34-point half-time lead.

The third term was a high-scoring affair with seven majors booted as the sides became accustomed to the heavy showers.

Hayden Hector and Stephen Hawkins scoring for the visitors, but as they challenged, the Blues responded to lead by 39 at the final change.

The Bombers began the final stanza with the first goal, and, as they did throughout the contest, the Blues ran rampant, adding four to post a comfortable victory.

Fleming was electric, on the run through the middle of the ground, the pacey midfielder ran hard and pushed forward, shaking his tag to dominate the contest.

Ryan Carpenter was a staunch figure, while Adam and Rohan Diamond pestered the opposition and set-up many passages of play.

For the visitors, Tyler Mustoe toiled hard in the midfield, Guy Sinclair worked hard in the back line against Brad Caldwell and Flanagan, while Rhys Martin was also among their better players.

SALE City came from four goals down at half-time to deny Churchill its first home win of the season.

The Anzac Day match drew a large crowd with the battle on the field a true test of spirit as both sides exemplified the true meaning of the Anzac spirit.

The Cougars led at every change, extending what seemed like a healthy first term margin, but a second half comeback by a plucky City side helped it win 11.7 (73) to 7.19 (61).

The Cougars’ inability to kick straight proving telling at the final siren.

Hamish Towns got the premiers off to a solid start, snaring two majors in the first opening term as the Cougars kicked away to a handy 20-point lead late in the term with the Bulldogs failing to trouble the scoreboard.

Majors to Nick Campbell and Tim Darby in the second term kept the visitors at bay, before the Bulldogs booted consecutive majors during a spirited third term to reel the deficit back to under a goal by the final change.

Chris Weller settled Churchill with the first goal of the final term, but City got the quick response.

With over 19 minutes remaining, Nick Grainger put City in front.

The Cougars kept coming, but City slotted through yet another major to retain their undefeated status.

YARRAM came home with a wet sail against Gormandale.

A nine-goal to one point third term was among the highlights of the Demons’ 22.16 (148) to 12.11 (83) win.

Expecting a physical contest against a bigger bodied side, Demons coach Anthony Pavey would have been pleased with his side’s beginning. A solid five-goal term helped established a 14-point buffer at the first break.

A see-sawing second term led to Gormandale taking a nine-point lead into half-time, following the visitor’s five-goal to two term.

The tables then turned again in third quarter as Yarram applied to pressure, kicking eight unanswered majors, all but killing the contest.

Four majors from Grif Underwood and three each from Jari McDonald and Corbin Sutherland steered the Demons to victory, with Andrew Kiely their best player.

The Tigers’ best was Jo Colaciello, who snared four goals.

A 14-GOAL to two second half steered Woodside to its first win of the season.

Four points separated the Wildcats and Glengarry at the long change, before the visitors remained composed and sniffed victory. Woodside clawed away with a nine-goal third term as the Magpies added just two behinds.

Wildcats coach Daniel Risol led from the front in his side’s 21.11 (137) to 8.11 (59). The goals came through Tom Love (six), Ryan Foat (five) and Shane Kilgower (three).

HEYFIELD recovered from a score-less first quarter to defeat Cowwarr by 50 points.

After booting six majors in the second stanza to get back into the contest, the Kangaroos didn’t falter, adding six goals in the second half to win 12.16 (88) 5.8 (38).

Heyfield’s back line, led by Scott Anderson and Mark Johnston, was staunch and battle ready in the second half as it held the Saints to one major.

The victor’s goals came through Kodie Woodland, who finished the day with four, with Josh Stubbe added two.

Daniel Stevens provided the Saints with plenty of headaches in a dogged individual performance.