Single goal gives Sale victory

A GOAL by Kristian Phillips just before half-time was enough for Sale United to grab a hard fought 1-0 victory over East Gippsland United in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League on Sunday.

The Swans struggled against a determined Eagles squad, and constant turnovers didn’t suit their style of play.

The Swans have been prolific scorers over their past three games, but that came to a halt as the home side put the pressure back on the visitors.

Sale, with three successive wins, is sitting in third spot on the table on goal difference from Monash.

East Gippsland won the women’s match 3-0.

Holly McCullagh put the Eagles in front on 34 minutes, before Sally Baldwin scored the home team’s second goal on half-time. McCullagh scored the Eagles’ third during the 76th minute.

A LATE goal from Isaac Abas gave Falcons victory over Newborough-Yallourn United.

The match between the top two teams went end-to-end for 85 minutes with neither team getting any breaks.

It was a tension-filled game, with the referee handing out five yellow cards as players went in with hard tackles.

At 83 minutes, Falcons’ Jesse Kennedy was upended, gaining a free kick which was taken by his brother Jordan, the ball was deflected over the sideline by a NYU defender. Jesse Kennedy’s corner kick found defender Abas, who deftly slotted the ball past the Combine’s keeper Damien Gilbert.

Two late shots for goal from the Combine went wide and a corner went begging as the Falcons’ defence bottled up and kept the ball away from the net.

BRAYDEN Paulett led Monash to a 3-0 win over Trafalgar Victory.

Paulett’s brace gave Monash a 2-0 lead going into half-time.

Trafalgar had fought hard but was unable to dent the reliable and strong Monash defence. It was a second half struggle with chances to both sides until Monash scored its third goal through Jonathon Cook.

The win gave Monash fourth position on the table after three successive victories.

MOE United defeated Traralgon Olympians 2-0.

Riley Winkel-Atkinson put the Red Devils in front with a goal at the seven-minute mark.

Olympians, who were a pale copy of last year’s team, struggled against Moe and was lucky to be only down a goal at half-time.

Luke Bathgate scored Moe’s second goal on the hour. Olympians threw everything at the Moe defence, but the Red Devils held strong under pressure.

CHURCHILL United played Fortuna on Wednesday. A result was not available at time of publication.

TRARALGON City had the bye.