Roosters prevail

SALE United scored first and last against Traralgon City but it was in-between that hurt the Swans, going down 4-2 in their Latrobe Valley Soccer League match on Sunday.

The visiting Roosters scored the equaliser through DJ Matar only two minutes after a Nick Buckhoreelall goal put Sale in front.

Liam Johnson scored at 38 minutes to put Traralgon City in front.

After end-to-end work and plenty of turnovers, the Roosters added goals at 76 and 88 minutes through Robert Speir and Matar, but Sale finished off on a high with a Nathi Khamchom goal on the final whistle.

NEWBOROUGH-YALLOURN United continued on its winning way, with a big 4-0 win over Fortuna.

Two goals within six minutes in the first half took Fortuna by surprise, which may have been a bit weary after last Wednesday’s clash against Churchill.

After the break, Fortuna tried to score but the Combine was equal to the task, with goal keeper Damien Gilbert keeping another clean sheet in what has been a good year for the custodian.

NYU scored two second half goals to complete the rout, its fifth successive victory over Fortuna and biggest since 2015.

The win propelled the Combine to top position on the table, ahead of Monash and Falcons on goal difference.

IN a crazy day for Churchill, which remain goal-less after five rounds, actually put two in the net on the weekend. Unfortunately for the Rams, they were own goals, giving Moe United a 3-0 victory.

Moe scored its first goal 10 minutes in and then just before half-time, a muddle in the box saw a Churchill defender deflect the ball into his own net.

After half-time, it was end-to-end before Moe got another break, as the Rams conceded a second own goal on 72 minutes.

IN a torrid day of soccer, Traralgon Olympians defeated Trafalgar Victory 4-1.

Referee Liam White had a busy day trying to separate the warring parties.

Late tackles also came under notice as players went in hard.

The referee dished out nine yellow cards, five to Trafalgar and four to Olympians.

Olympians jumped Trafalgar, and had goals on 10, 20 and 30 minutes.

It was tough going for Trafalgar, as Olympians attacked in waves gaining plenty of possession. Trafalgar hit back right on half time with a good goal.

MONASH defeated East Gippsland United 7-1, with Ethan Lawrence scoring four goals and Braden Paulet two for the Wolves.

Both teams ended the match with 10 men.

FALCONS had the bye.

LAST week, Fortuna defeated Churchill United 1-0 in an Anzac Day match. Harvey Bates scoring the only goal of the match.