United records win over Wolves

FOR only the third time since 1976, Sale United scored five goals against Monash.

Trailing twice, the Swans defeated the visitors 5-2 in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League on Sunday.

Monash began brilliantly, scoring the first goal at two minutes through Ethan Lawrence. The Swans were stung but came back to equalise only nine minutes later from Jon Piefke.

Both teams tried to score again by half-time, but defences and constant turnovers prevented any more scores.

Monash began the second half better and five minutes in was rewarded with a second goal from Ethan Lawrence.

On the hour, Sale made some smart moves which paid off as Josh Ryan, with a familiar run and shoot netted, Sale’s second goal to equalise. In a purple patch, within a 10-minute period, the Swans scored three times at 71 from Nick Buckhorelall, 77 with Piefke’s second and finally rounded up with Nathi Khamchom scoring at 79 minutes to give Sale a valuable victory.

The Wolves were too strong for the Sale women’s team, winning 3-0. The Sale team has begun to gel together, and despite speed and youth, it was no match for the experience and accurate kicking from Monash.

MOE United turned the tables on league leader Falcons in a tight contest, the Red Devils winning the match 1-0 after a Lachlan McKenzie goal at 18 minutes.

Falcons tried hard to get past the strong Moe defence, but efficient work from Guach Guach, Kevin Somerville and Noah Kane kept the leader out of range.

Moe’s leading scorer Riley Winkelman-Atkinson was busy. Within minutes, two of his shots for goal were parried away by Falcons keeper Charles Simon.

Falcons was also busy in defence as Moe continually attacked, but got no further than Joe Auciello, Anthony Carbone and Gianni Salvatore, who were strong defenders.

Moe was getting good drive from Sam Gatpan, who used his height to advantage with strong headers.

Near half-time, Moe’s Lachlan McKenzie went down after an alleged tackle which forced off on a stretcher. Falcons coach Nick D’Allesandro was given a red card, leaving the Birds a man down in the second half.

After the break, The Red Devils came out with renewed effort, knowing they had an extra player and led on the scoreboard.

Falcons mounted many attacks, but Moe held up its end with veteran keeper Peter Albanese making great moves to deny the home side as the Red Devils hung on for their first win over the Birds since 2016.

The clubs last night played in the semi-final of the Battle of Britain Cup.

TRARALGON City proved too good for Trafalgar Victory.

It was a difficult day for Trafalgar, which conceded two own goals, the first just on half-time and unluckily another at 67 minutes. The Victory had gone ahead at 33 minutes with a goal from Alec Edmondson.

Second half goals from Dak Kong and Josh Patterson helped the Roosters win 4-1.

NEWBOROUGH-Yallourn United defeated Churchill United for only the fourth time in 21 years, winning 5-2.

The Combine was quickly onto the scoreboard, when Adam Batt beat the keeper after two minute. Within 10 minutes, Alex Van Vliet added another. Further goals to Ash Birrell, Clayton Bell and Dylan Fairbrother had NYU leading 5-0 at half-time.

After the break, Churchill fought back, keeping the Combine goal-less while scoring through Samuel Di Ciero and Ray Myers.

FORTUNA defeated East Gippsland United 5-1 at Bairnsdale.

It was not an easy match for Fortuna as the Eagles made it difficult for the Lions to score. The East Gippsland defence eventually cracked at 22 minutes, when Kuku Mahmoud posted his first of three goals. Just before half-time, Mahmoud claimed his second goal.

Fortuna had its third goal after excellent play from coach David O’Dowd, who crossed to Brandon Scott to put it away.

East Gippsland scored a consolation goal through Jarrad Feather, giving the Eagles some reward for their hard work, before Mahmoud and O’Dowd added further goals to the Fortuna tally.

TRARALGON Olympians had the bye.

THERE will be no matches this Queen’s Birthday long weekend.