Rams too strong

Laurie Williams

CHURCHILL United won its third match of the Latrobe Valley Soccer League season with a strong 3-0 victory over Sale United on Sunday.

At Sale, it was late in the first half when Majok Deng received a strong pass and made no mistake in grabbing the first goal. Sale struggled under Churchill’s pressure but withheld the Rams until Liam Johnson found an avenue to goal at 79 minutes and finally Lachlan Huizer finished off the rout at 88 minutes.

The win moves the Rams onto the same points as Moe United and Fortuna.

NEWBOROUGH-Yallourn United won a tough battle against neighbour Monash 2-1 to stay on top of the ladder.

The Combine attacked early, and was rewarded when Hayden Ross-Shultz from 40 metres out found leading scorer Hayden Tanti rising in the box and he headed it past keeper Enya Murphy to open the scoring.

Monash was stung into action, with Harry Shelley and Chris Oulton giving the Wolves good chances, but NYU keeper Damien Gilbert kept his sheet clean.

After the break, it was possession football with NYU tying up Monash, but the Lions were awarded a penalty, 80 minutes in when Chris Oulton was brought down in the box.

Juan Nilo calmly took the set shot to give Monash the equaliser.

Play began to get rougher as NYU strived to get home a winner, and three minutes later, Shayne Pavich blasted a shot past the keeper.

With little time left, NYU blanketed the ball but not before Gilbert was forced to flick the ball over the net in a great save.

MOE United came out with all guns blazing to inflict a 7-0 beating to Trafalgar Victory.

The Red Devils scored their first at three minutes through Nick Fogarty, then had three up within 15 minutes from Riley Winkelman and Matt Shearing.

The Victory put the pressure on Moe, but the Red Devils scored another goal just before half-time through Andre Antonopoulos.

Trafalgar had no real answer to Moe’s firepower as the Red Devils cranked up another three in the second half from Harley Robinson (two) and Shearing.

TRARALGON City scored either side of half-time to take the match over Fortuna 3-1.

The Roosters had to wait to almost half-time before getting on the board through Nathi Khamchorm at 45 minutes.

Immediately after the break, the Roosters went forward and Tommy Nuygen succeeded to grab their second.

Fortuna looked at times like it was going to score with good passing, but Traralgon City’s defenders were in good touch. Finally persistence paid off for the Lions as they got a goal back at 82 minutes from Taku Gwara.

Traralgon City packed the back in a defensive move, and on the rebound scored its third goal right on full time from Matt Baker.

TRARALGON Olympians pulled off a stunning 2-0 victory over Falcons on Saturday night.

It was only Olympians’ fifth win in eight years.

Scores were level at 0-0 at half-time with both teams having chances.

The Traralgon based team worked its way into a good position first with a goal from Alradi Ali at 58 minutes and then recruit Henri Scott blasted one past the keeper to seal the unexpected win.